Need help alpha testing my MMORPG.

Started by
27 comments, last by ItsHercule 19 years, 1 month ago
My completely free, open-source MMORPG (Massively Multiplayer Online Role Playing Game) is an online virtual reality. It is inspired by Legend of Zelda and similar NES/SNES-era games. A web site with the source code and more information is up! http://thechuckster.homelinux.com/nitro/ Go to the downloads section and grab the source package. It depends on OpenIL (Open Image Library), OpenGL, SDL, and SDL_net. To compile, just type make! To clarify: you don't have to run this as root. Remember, folks, this is GPL'd so please obey the license. TCP/IP Ports 9997-9999 need enabled on your router or firewall for this to work. It is pretty stable so far. Just run it in a console and type a nick name. Immediately you enter my persisent online world. Controls are W A S D movement, T to talk ENTER when you're done typing, F1 for full screen, ESC to exit. Report bugs here. Thanks.
---2x John Carmack
Advertisement
Are there any plans for a Windows version? I don't use Linux much anymore (I have it on my other computer, which is currently stored in my closet).. but anyway good luck with the project, I like SNES-style RPGs. :)
Website (with downloads of my games)
Blog (updates on current projects)
Seeds of Time Online has returned!
Well there will be when I get around to it. Visual C++ doesn't like standard code.
---2x John Carmack
VC might not but dev-cpp almost compiled it for me. It looks like it doesn't link right however. I can get it to link to DevIL, SDL and OGL but the problem is it won't link your files right..

For some reason it can't find the definition of glPrint yet its in the text.h which is included at the top, go figure. the only two files that I got to compile were framework.cpp and text.cpp.

You should give dev-cpp a shot before VC, it will probley work if you monkey with it a little after all it does use gcc.

Also thanks for leting me look at your source, it gave me more of an idea on how to organize my code, mine currently is a mess but does more or less the same thing minus networking suport (standard tile engine in SDL).
The binary supplied links to.. SDL 1.3??!

[sijmen@shadowfax MMORPG-src]$ ./MMORPG./MMORPG: error while loading shared libraries: libSDL-1.3.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Compiling wouldn't work either:

[sijmen@shadowfax MMORPG-src]$ make cleanrm -f framework.o tiling.o input.o text.o chat.o net.o tokenizer.o[sijmen@shadowfax MMORPG-src]$ makeg++ -c framework.cpp -I/usr/include/SDL -O2 -pipe -Wall -ansi -o framework.oIn file included from /usr/include/allegro.h:69,                 from /usr/include/IL/ilut.h:188,                 from framework.h:27,                 from framework.cpp:18:/usr/include/allegro/fix.h:92: error: declaration of C function `fix operator+(fix, int)' conflicts with/usr/include/allegro/fix.h:91: error: previous declaration `fix operator+(fix, fix)' here/usr/include/allegro/fix.h:93: error: declaration of C function `fix operator+(int, fix)' conflicts with/usr/include/allegro/fix.h:92: error: previous declaration `fix operator+(fix, int)' here/usr/include/allegro/fix.h:94: error: declaration of C function `fix operator+(fix, long int)' conflicts with......In file included from framework.cpp:18:framework.h:34:1: warning: "TRUE" redefinedIn file included from /usr/include/allegro.h:25,                 from /usr/include/IL/ilut.h:188,                 from framework.h:27,                 from framework.cpp:18:/usr/include/allegro/base.h:58:1: warning: this is the location of the previous definitionmake: *** [framework.o] Error 1

Looks nice from what I've seen so far though, on the site and such.

/edit:
Linking SDL-1.2 to the 1.3 .so named above solved it. Weird though.
How did you get Dev-C++ compatible versions of SDL_net and OpenIL?

Odd. I don't remember Allegro being a part of this.

I use the bleeding-edge SDL 1.3 since I use an XMMS visualization program called Project-M that requires it for off screen buffer rendering. Sorry.

Glad that the source code was useful to somebody.
---2x John Carmack
Quote:Original post by TheChuckster
How did you get Dev-C++ compatible versions of SDL_net and OpenIL?

Odd. I don't remember Allegro being a part of this.

I use the bleeding-edge SDL 1.3 since I use an XMMS visualization program called Project-M that requires it for off screen buffer rendering. Sorry.

Glad that the source code was useful to somebody.

Well, this is about Linux, for me at least. By the way, maybe you should try compiling the Linux version against a stable SDL version, because this way it leads to some minor confusion ;)
just got sdl_net off libsdl.org and then I used DevIL for the IL stuff.. all you really have to do is put the header files and libs in thier respectful directories under dev-cpp.
You can have two versions of SDL, just tell the linker which one to link against. I would stay away from SDL1.3 until it becomes more standard.

Clutch
Quote:Visual C++ doesn't like standard code.

Version 7.1 (the .NET 2003 version) actually likes at least as much standard code as GCC 3.4 does. In fact, where we have compiler boneheadedness problems, it's more likely on GCC than VC these days.

Version 6 was pretty bad, I'll agree with that. You could make it better with this define in a header everyone included, though:

#define for if(0);else for

enum Bool { True, False, FileNotFound };

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement