• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

J-W

3D modelling

This topic is 6440 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

When I try to export a 3D model as a text file I often get only 4 vertex coördinates. When you create a model (a quad in this case) you need a whole lot more vertex coördinates. Does anyone know how to get atound this problem? Maybe there''s a (free) visual c++ modelling program on the web that''s easy to use with visual c++ to create simple models? I''m really having a hard time to figure out those coördinates so plz help me.... thanx!

Advertisement
quote:

only 4 vertex coördinates. When you create a model (a quad in this case) you need a whole lot more vertex coördinates

a quad only has 4 vertices,
u might wanna have a look at milkshake or blender

http://members.xoom.com/myBollux

Yes I know that! But maybe you didn''t understand: I meant a 3D quad, you know a cube.
It looks like this:

glBegin(GL_QUADS); // Draw A Quad
glVertex3f( 1.0f, 1.0f,-1.0f); // Top Right Of The Quad (Top)
glVertex3f(-1.0f, 1.0f,-1.0f); // Top Left Of The Quad (Top)
glVertex3f(-1.0f, 1.0f, 1.0f); // Bottom Left Of The Quad (Top)
glVertex3f( 1.0f, 1.0f, 1.0f); // Bottom Right Of The Quad (Top)
glVertex3f( 1.0f,-1.0f, 1.0f); // Top Right Of The Quad (Bottom)
glVertex3f(-1.0f,-1.0f, 1.0f); // Top Left Of The Quad (Bottom)
glVertex3f(-1.0f,-1.0f,-1.0f); // Bottom Left Of The Quad (Bottom)
glVertex3f( 1.0f,-1.0f,-1.0f); // Bottom Right Of The Quad (Bottom)
glVertex3f( 1.0f, 1.0f, 1.0f); // Top Right Of The Quad (Front)
glVertex3f(-1.0f, 1.0f, 1.0f); // Top Left Of The Quad (Front)
glVertex3f(-1.0f,-1.0f, 1.0f); // Bottom Left Of The Quad (Front)
glVertex3f( 1.0f,-1.0f, 1.0f); // Bottom Right Of The Quad (Front)

etc. etc... That''s more than 4 vertices!

Guest Anonymous Poster
J-W, try checking out http://www.xdsoft.com/explorer/ it''s a program that will open up diffrent 3d models, one feature that is pretty cool is the ability to export these models to opengl code. I used it for a bit, but for me I was better off writing a quake 2 .md2 loader, which I''m doing right now..

hope that helps..

-Serun

hi J-W
listen... check my 26th tutorial on Nehe''s page.
see how files are organized ( objects )... now see how I load them . Ok you don''t have to write all that stuff ( glVertex ) for each vertex... I know you scream "I know that !" right now.
What I try to tell you is that eg. 3explorer, Anonymous ( Serun ?) mentioned, handles ascii and binary files. ascii files are cool cause you can write your own handler/converter to your own format ( that''s not that hard, you ave to spec. your object structure, again check tutorial 26 )
and usual ascii file looks something like :

VertexList
x:1.34353 y:3.3545 z:5.4566 u: v:
x:0.35463 y:5.4353 z:-5.224 u: v:
FaceList
a:0 b:1 c:2
a:1 b:2 c:3
a:5 b:7 c:4
a:7 b:9 c:4

and so on... what means you load list of verts ( xyz ) to some data struct and then you create object from face list ( you can load I too )
first face is made of vertex no. 0, 1 and 2
second one : vertex 1 , 2 and 3
third : 5th , 7th and 4th

so now forget about writting glVertex !!!
maybe it is not what were you asking about but what the hell ...
I hope I answered your quwstion...

good luck
Pet

There''s a free program at anim8or.com that allows you to model/animate/render 3d files that exports to C, 3ds, obj, and vtx files. Then I use 3D exploration (www.xdsoft.com) to convert it to whatever file type I want.

It''s kind of a roundabout way of doing it--but it''s completly free so I can make professional looking 3d models without spending a cent!!

Open mouth, insert foot

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!