Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Peter Cunliffe

Chris-Radeon-Fog

A short while Chris mentioned ATI Radeon but didn''t indicate any problems. I''ve tried one of these cards and found that table fog is not supported [ a card or driver problem - not PR ]. So the normal fog in PR [and many other APIS/Games]is useless. Is there a different method for creating fog? I''ve abandoned Radeon for now and gone back to good ol''Geforce. Thanks in advance for helping! Petrovski

Guest Anonymous Poster
The fog problem in the Radeon is not a PR problem. Those lazy bastards at ATI completely screwed up Table fogging (among other things) in the Radeon drivers. In fact, I''ve been fighting with them over it for the past month or so. Because the damn card is reporting that it supports Table fog thru CAPS, when my current game inits (www.3000ad.com/products/bcm.shtml) of course, the fogging doesn''t work. They asked me to detect ALL ATI cards and then if I detected it, to use Vertex fog. Then they came back and said "...oh wait, that won''t work either". So, in the end, a commandline parameter in the game was required in order to force the use of Vertex fog (which is crap btw). Now if they don''t fix their drivers, I have to explain this to my users that they have to add a commandline parameter in their shortcut if they own an ATI card.

ATI is notorious for not doing good driver work. And when they do release drivers, they are several months late and usually break something else. Almost every game you buy has some curious warning or problem about using ATI cards and the Radeon is no different.

I just saw a press release from them, over at VX and I just stared at it, thinking "....these bastards cannot get Table fog working and they''re talking about high-end DX8 features that nobody is going to use for sometime!!???"

To make things worse, most of the problems (except for Table fog)with the Radeon cards, were solved in unsupported special drivers that were not available to the public. Then, just when I sent out a Beta of my game and checked, they had removed the latest 5.0.3054 drivers from 10-03 with the older 5.0.3043 drivers from 8-31. Guess what? Now all the original problems are back.

doh! I forgot my password in that prev post, then I remembered it.

Derek Smart, Ph.D
Designer/Lead Developer
The Battlecruiser Series
http://www.3000ad.com
"It''s not everyone telling me it can''t be done that bothers me.
It''s them interrupting me while I''m doing it!"