DirectX Help

Started by
10 comments, last by Obfuse 23 years, 5 months ago
I cannot get DirectX to work, I have the SDK (for directx 7) and Visual C++ 6. I have found numerous tutorials on how to set up DirectX and all they get me is this: "C:\PROGRAM FILES\MICROSOFT VISUAL STUDIO\MyProjects\Test\Test.cpp(13) : error C2146: syntax error : missing '';'' before identifier ''lpDD''" and another one about missing type for LPDIRECTDRAW7. I have included ddraw.h, added the library files (dxguid.lib and ddraw.lib) and set the directories to the right ones, and yes I installed the SDK right because I have done it three times and it does the exact same thing every time. I can''t get the samples to work, I''ve tried just setting up a simple program from the tutorials, and this is getting very annoying, can anyone help? thanks. (and don''t even try to tell me to get a book, I''m not spending $20 on something I can''t even get to compile, once I get it working so it will at least compile something I might buy one) -=Obfuse=-
-=Obfuse=-
Advertisement
Why don''t the samples work?
I think you need to add the Path to your includes.
Um...read above..it does that It complains about the first direct draw crap in the source. And I did add the includes path... just like everyone tells me to 50000 times, think im just going to f*** DirectX and get OpenGL because this is too much of a pain in the butt.

-=Obfuse=-

Edited by - Obfuse on November 2, 2000 6:20:57 PM
-=Obfuse=-
So how exactly did you add the include path, and how are you including ddraw.h. I''ve never seen a problem with this
are ayou linking the libs? you have to do that in OpenGL too.

JoeMont001@aol.com www.polarisoft.n3.net
My HomepageSome shoot to kill, others shoot to mame. I say clear the chamber and let the lord decide. - Reno 911
Make sure the include and library paths are at the top of the list. I guess you''re using Visual C++, if so, then MSVC comes with DirectX 3 I think and if those include paths are above the DirectX 7 ones, it''s gonna use the DX3 version of ddraw.h. Hope this helps.

"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of the dreams."
- Willy Wonka
tnx hehe, they just weren''t at the top of the list, wasn''t aware that it came with DirectX

-=Obfuse=-
-=Obfuse=-
quote:Original post by Julio

are ayou linking the libs? you have to do that in OpenGL too.

JoeMont001@aol.com www.polarisoft.n3.net

oh for god''s sake, he clearly says in the original post that he HAS! people like you make the world a more irritating place to live in ( only joking)

erm but i think BitBlt is probably right, that sort of thing tends to screw up MSVC because microsoft put the directx 3.0 sdk in without really telling you... and they don''t really tell you that the order of the include paths does in fact make a difference... in FACT, microsoft refuses to tell you absolutely anything of any importance or use, but instead rants on about Serialization for about 10000 pages in MSDN which is nothing more than just writing and reading to an i/o stream. phew, sorry i had to get that out of my system

yeah, if what BitBlt suggested doesn''t work, then you really would need to tell us a bit more about how your system''s set up because i dunno about other people but i can''t tell what''s wrong with your setup from what you''ve told us...
[email=ehremo@hotmail.com][/email]
oops, too late...
[email=ehremo@hotmail.com][/email]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement