Sword Of Destiny Game Docs

Started by
8 comments, last by DC-Jeremiah 23 years, 5 months ago
----------------------------------------------------------------- !!ATTENTION!! ----------------------------------------------------------------- Not everything is filled out yet. But this game is going to be in the platform of a adventurish RPG. Kinda like Zelda 64. Except Better. =) Please help us fill in the blanks and tell us if you like what we have so far. If not then please tell us what we are missing. ( please be serious ) =/ ----------------------------------------------------------------- Game Docs ----------------------------------------------------------------- Time - Time like where Zelda takes place in ( If you dont think this is a good time period for the game please name one ) Platform - Adventure/RPG ( when I say RPG ) I mean without the RPG battle system. ----------------------------------------------------------------- Bosses ----------------------------------------------------------------- Cyclops Dragons ( Must defeat it to taim it in order to ride it ) Giant Humans ( - As like in Goliath type - ) (name a boss type) (name a boss type) (name a boss type) (name a boss type) ----------------------------------------------------------------- ----------------------------------------------------------------- Weapons and Armor ----------------------------------------------------------------- Light Sword ( +10 damage ) gets damaged quick and will break easily Sword Of Lightness ( +16 damage ) Good sword. Lasts long. But make sure you take care of it Kranez Sword ( +25 damage ) need at least ~40 stregnth~ and ~30 durability~ to use. (name a weapon) (name a weapon) (name a weapon) ----------------------------------------------------------------- ----------------------------------------------------------------- Storyline for the game ----------------------------------------------------------------- Hmmm, well we havnt really came up with one yet. Just little bits and pieces for one. But heres what we have so far. ~~~ the (characters) father was killed by the Dracus Army when he was just a boy. SINCE then he has sworn on his fathers grave that he would some day take his vengence for his father by the blood of Dracus''s blood on his fathers sword. He will some day make peace in the world by defeating the Dracus Army. ( I think it really needs some help myself ) lol ( Help us come up with one if you like. But it has to involve the stuff from the storyline above. ) Thats all we have for now. But we will have more later. Help us out a little if you like. Thanks Jeremiah Sawyer
Disturbing Creations (Employee)
Advertisement
Hmmm... I really am trying to take you seriously... Really I am.. But... It''s... Just.... So........ Damn.... Hard..

Anyway.. First off:
Time period - You mean that you want it to be a Fantasy RPG set in some kind of Medieval or fantasy-ish world. Time period is not the actual right word for your description, but it will do

Adventure/RPG... without the battle system? Are you removing battle as an element? If so then CONGRATULATIONS, but you will likely lose a lot of audience with such a step. Just an opinion though...

Bosses - I hate thinking of Bosses. I would really like to see a game which didn''t require you to challenge a boss... You should really just challenge the story (oops you don''t have one )

It also appears that you are using statistics. Have you read the GDCorner document "The future of RPGs"? I suggest you do... This is a link to the web version, it should be fairly easy to navigate. It suggests some possible improvements on the stats system. Numbers really do detract from immersion (believe me... You want immersion).

Dragon? Hmmm... I don''t like where you place the dragon on that list... though I see that you would want the character to ride it. Dragons are too mighty to be defeated by such inexperienced warriors... Believe me... I am one (in dwarven form )

OK, well your story is what makes me find it hard to take you seriously. Either you have a setup and a conclusion without any story in between, or you have all three (introduction, body, conclusion). Seeing as you don''t really have much in the way of anything, I suggest you read a little in the way of fantasy/sci-fi in order to get some more ideas... You can even see if you can find inspiration from the section titled "My Learning Experience Approach" in the doc that I mentioned above..

That is about all I can say (or am willing to) other than - It is your game, you should decide what goes in it. Think of your game as an artform. People who are not on your team may influence your art, but they don''t contribute... Otherwise it will be their art. Do you understand?

-Chris Bennett of Dwarfsoft - Site:"The Philosophers' Stone of Programming Alchemy" - IOL
The future of RPGs - Thanks to all the goblins over in our little Game Design Corner niche

quote: Platform - Adventure/RPG ( when I say RPG ) I mean without the RPG battle system.

I have a feeling this means that it''s an arcade style game, see zelda, spyro the dragon, croc, crash bandicoot etc...

So it isn''t really an RPG in the true sense of the term (if
anyone here can agree what the true meaning is I''ll eat my
foot).

But anyway...

Dwarfsoft - I think you are coming down a bit hard here (just
a tiny bit though). Not everyone in the world has the time to
read up on all the ideas that get thrown around in this forum,
and a lot of the ideas don''t apply in every application anyway.

DC-Jeremiah - The first question I would ask you about your
statistics is this: What are they? You give no list. What
do they mean? Are they meaningful, or did you pull a bunch of
numbers out of your ass?

Your storyline: It so far shows the motivation for your main
character, but it shows no detail of what happens in the game.
The story (when finished) will spell out everything that happens
(and where it happens). You can come up with ideas for
characters/items/bosses etc, and the thing to do then would be
to write them into the story.

ie: One of your bosses is a dragon, which you tame and ride.
so ask some questions now...

Why do you need to ride the dragon?
Where does the dragon live?
How do you get there?

Ok, the dragon lives on Mongo Peak, which is the highest mountain
in the world. He lives right on the very top of it, and to get
to him(her, it) you have to climb it. There is a Dracus platoon
camped at the foot of the mountain, and wild animals/big ape
men are all over the mountain. Plus, there are hazards like
avalanches. When you get to the dragon, you will need to tame
it. To do this you need to belt it around the head for half
an hour. (Or, the beast could be trying to strike you with its
huge foot. There is blood dripping out of a thorn caught in the
foot, and the only way to tame the dragon is to get the thorn
out before he stomps you.). You obviously need the dragon
because it is a big flying thing and you need it to get to
the Grand Poobah''s castle in the sky (Getting there is level
97600234).

It''s not a hard process for these arcade-adventure type games.

So in conclusion,

1. Make sure you know what these statistics are for!!!
2. Ask yourself questions to create a simple storyline!!!
3. Dwarfsoft is right: If other people generate your ideas,
then it is more their game then yours - even if you program
the whole thing yourself and do all the graphics too.

- Imagination, Persistence, & Pizza are the key grasshopper...
----------"i think that all this talking and such is paining my head to astounding annoyance" - Erick"Quoting people in your tag is cool. Quoting yourself is even cooler" - SpazBoy_the_MiteyDisco Love For Everyone
quote:Original post by SpazBoy_the_Mitey

You have been upgraded since the last time I saw you SpazBoy... You have become mitier

quote: Platform - Adventure/RPG ( when I say RPG ) I mean without the RPG battle system.

I have a feeling this means that it''s an arcade style game, see zelda, spyro the dragon, croc, crash bandicoot etc...

So it isn''t really an RPG in the true sense of the term (if
anyone here can agree what the true meaning is I''ll eat my
foot).

No... there is no term... Let us not get into this debate YET AGAIN . I realise that it is more of a roaming game, but sounds a fair bit like a hack''n''slash from the sound of the armies and that. I don''t think hack''n''slash have much depth to tell the truth

quote:
But anyway...

Dwarfsoft - I think you are coming down a bit hard here (just
a tiny bit though). Not everyone in the world has the time to
read up on all the ideas that get thrown around in this forum,
and a lot of the ideas don''t apply in every application anyway.

I wasn''t coming down hard... I though I was just suggesting that he read the bit pertaining to STATS and SKILL BASED ADVANCEMENT... otherwise I would have pointed him to read the whole bloody lot of "What''s with Stats (RPG) by Matriek but that would have been cruel .

quote:
DC-Jeremiah - The first question I would ask you about your
statistics is this: What are they? You give no list. What
do they mean? Are they meaningful, or did you pull a bunch of
numbers out of your ass?

What I am thinking is that you should list objectives of the game, and see what best suits them. Whether it be stats or skills. This way you only include relevant items and everything else is discarded.

quote:
Your storyline: It so far shows the motivation for your main
character, but it shows no detail of what happens in the game.
The story (when finished) will spell out everything that happens
(and where it happens). You can come up with ideas for
characters/items/bosses etc, and the thing to do then would be
to write them into the story.

Both really need a lot of advancement, but at least you have a start... Some people who want to acheive in the game industry don''t even have that

quote:
ie: One of your bosses is a dragon, which you tame and ride.
so ask some questions now...

Why do you need to ride the dragon?
Where does the dragon live?
How do you get there?

Ok, the dragon lives on Mongo Peak, which is the highest mountain
in the world. He lives right on the very top of it, and to get
to him(her, it) you have to climb it. There is a Dracus platoon
camped at the foot of the mountain, and wild animals/big ape
men are all over the mountain. Plus, there are hazards like
avalanches. When you get to the dragon, you will need to tame
it. To do this you need to belt it around the head for half
an hour. (Or, the beast could be trying to strike you with its
huge foot. There is blood dripping out of a thorn caught in the
foot, and the only way to tame the dragon is to get the thorn
out before he stomps you.). You obviously need the dragon
because it is a big flying thing and you need it to get to
the Grand Poobah''s castle in the sky (Getting there is level
97600234).

I am glad that somebody went through REASONING... I was too lazy . Good example.. Reminds me of a lion mentioned somewhere in some holy book

quote:
It''s not a hard process for these arcade-adventure type games.

So in conclusion,

1. Make sure you know what these statistics are for!!!
2. Ask yourself questions to create a simple storyline!!!
3. Dwarfsoft is right: If other people generate your ideas,
then it is more their game then yours - even if you program
the whole thing yourself and do all the graphics too.

- Imagination, Persistence, & Pizza are the key grasshopper...

The game is only yours if you came to the conclusion about ideas yourself. If you were just reading a few rants from people and formed your own opinions then it would be counted as your choice and not the other persons... But if you come out and say ''Give me some dudes for my game'' then it is the people who tell you what to put in it that are making the game theres. Nobody knows your game better than yourself (except maybe the NPC''s in it... Assuming that there are NPC''s ). If it doesn''t feel right then don''t put it in, if it seems like a great idea but doesn''t seem to fit, then write it down - just in case it does eventually fit... or you make another game... If it seems to flow easily into the game, then put the sucker straight into the game

Imagination is definitely useful, Persistence is another plus... Pizza definitely keeps you fed... You forgot Skittles and Coffee... They are also the key, and you will also probably need a lot of paper for writting down ideas... And a bin for throwing paper balls [basketball style] in.

Anyway... enough ranting from me

-Chris Bennett of Dwarfsoft - Site:"The Philosophers' Stone of Programming Alchemy" - IOL
The future of RPGs - Thanks to all the goblins over in our little Game Design Corner niche

quote:Original post by DC-Jeremiah

Light Sword ( +10 damage ) gets damaged quick and will break
easily

Sword Of Lightness ( +16 damage ) Good sword. Lasts long. But
make sure you take care of it

Kranez Sword ( +25 damage ) need at least ~40 stregnth~ and
~30 durability~ to use.

If your post is all the documentation you have, you really shouldn''t concentrate on details such as individual weapons yet. You should first think about the general stuff: game world, critical gameplay elements and the like of that. Besides, statistics and other numeric values are always subject to tweaking during play testing.

-Jussi

"Angst"
quote:You have been upgraded since the last time I saw you SpazBoy... You have become mitier

hehehe SpazBoy_the_Mitier, where do i sign up for a name change?

quote:I wasn''t coming down hard... I though I was just suggesting that he read the bit pertaining to STATS and SKILL BASED ADVANCEMENT... otherwise I would have pointed him to read the whole bloody lot of "What''s with Stats (RPG) by Matriek but that would have been cruel .

Sorry, I must''ve read your tone wrong (my computer''s not emoting
very well at the moment).

quote:You forgot Skittles and Coffee

Ahh, the unsung heroes. I''ve been using a lot of Red Bull
also

Oh yeah, sorry for posting off topic, I guess I''m already
demoted back to just plain mitey again

----------"i think that all this talking and such is paining my head to astounding annoyance" - Erick"Quoting people in your tag is cool. Quoting yourself is even cooler" - SpazBoy_the_MiteyDisco Love For Everyone
Thanks for your posts people. I really enjoy the help. =)
But I think alot of you get me wrong on my RPG battle system. I am going to use a BATTLE SYSTEM like the one that was used in zelda 64. If you have ever played that then you should know what I am talking about then. If not then let me explain.

Ok, the Zelda 64 Battle System is actually a pretty smooth and slick system I would think. Easy aiming, good view(s) and good weapon selection. I will probaly try to do the battle system like in 3rd person view and 1 binded key for Attack with your weapon, and another binded key for your sheild. Or you may press the binded key for your menu and change sheields, armor, weapon, whatever. But remember. Some weapons take up both hands leaving you with no sheild.

If your going to make a Zelda like game...you REALLY need to diversify your weapons and stuff...study Zelda, study the effects of the weapons Link used, study the monsters and "bosses" in those games...

The Zelda series is arguably some of the greatest games ever made...they are built on a platform designed to challange and encourage player skill...every weapon and item Link carries around has multiple uses requireing different player stratigies to develop...those games have more RPG elements than most people give it credit for [shall I prove it?]

Also, don''t get suckered into trying to make your game "realistic"...thats a trap...a dead end...instead go for what feels right...give the main charactor a 15 foot long lance...he can charge through enemies with it...he can quickly turn to face another direction knocking nearby enemies over...he can stab enemies, and "flick" them overhead...and he can use it to increase the distance he jumps [pull volting?]...don''t then give him a 20 foot lance, diversify give him a yo-yo instead...set it up so the player has a variety of things he can do in any given situation useing any given weapon [even if it is un-realistic]...
What got my attentino was "game documents" and unfortunately i was really really lied to. It was mentioned earlier and i shall state it again. IS THIS ALL YOUR DOCS? The reason some are not taking you seriously is because saying im gonna have a +20 sword and a nice shield and some bosses is a joke in terms of game docs (especially when a professional Team developed zelda and u say yours is gonna be better).

So lets quit these debates over what type of stats he should use and the story he wants. Thats all way way into the future. Im sorry to be this bringer of tuff news, but you really should think about a lot more important details if this is your starting point into making a game. So like dwarfsoft says...go read. And yes...you need to read a lot of docs to be considered serious in your attempt...how else u gonna learn this stuff? pull it out your ass? no time to read docs....bah! if u got time to look at all these post..u got time.
Thanks for the tips everyone. =)

MSW, would you like to join our developers team?

O, B.T.W. I have postpomed any developing as of right now until I have completly finished my research on Zelda type games, Adventure games, RPG games, and some battle systems for RPG and adventure type platforms. I really apreciate the help people. =)

Thanks,
Jeremiah

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement