Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mark Tanner

In DX8, how can you then...

Hi everyone, Hearing DDraw blitting is effectively gone from DX8, can someone then tell me this: Can you obtain a pointer to video mem? If not, how do you create splash screens? (please don''t tell me its by tiled polygons) How do you play or create your own movie player in DX8? And how would you write out screenshots? Mark

Guest Anonymous Poster
Nope, you can''t get pointers, cant blit, nothing except draw small deceased parrots.

Of course you can, you can do anything you used to, it''s just all been merged together to make it much easier and so everything works properly on new chipsets.

All the information I''m about to present is at http://www.microsoft.com/hwdev/meltdown. I urge before anyone starts complaining about the proposed changes for D3D 8, please go over these presentations.

quote:

Can you obtain a pointer to video mem?

Not any more. And why would you want to, it''s slow to access video memory, and some cards don''t support it. Some cards you never really obtained a pointer to video memory anyway.

quote:

If not, how do you create splash screens?

Upload one system surface to video memory surface.

quote:

How do you play or create your own movie player in DX8?

I don''t know, nothing''s been publicly released. Probably can stream video directly to a surface through DirectShow. If you still can''t figure it out, try posting on DXDEV and probably a D3D devrel will tell you the "prefered" way to do it. But really, I think movies are on their way out in games. 3D graphics engines are getting good enough that you can just use them to render cutscenes.

quote:

And how would you write out screenshots?

There''s probably some way to copy a video memory surface (such as the frame buffer) to system memory. Explicity touching the frame buffer is out.

You have to realize:
Focus of D3D 8 is high performance, 3D Games.

Straight 2D games are not the focus of it, you can use DX7 for that.

Creating a 2D game using 3D is completely supported, and encouraged! Using 3D has some advantages: HW rotation, scaling, filtering, changing resolutions easily, alpha blending. Once you setup your sprite engine (or just use D3DX''s) it''s a snap.

Multimedia video players are not the focus of D3D 8. You can use DD 7, or I assume DShow in 8 (I''m not up on DShow, sorry)

Guest Anonymous Poster
According to a an MS representative I just talked to while he delivered my pizza (his official title is "really important guy") he says that, in a rather distasteful joke, MS has decided to replace the deceased parrots with a penguin choking to death on an apple.

(just kidding)

Ok now, you know that when you hit the Print screen button, it sends the current image in video memory to the clip board.

You can create screenshots fairly easily this way by getting a handle to the buffer and writing it out to a file (im not very good with c/c++ windows programming though, so Im not quite sure exactly how you would do this, but Im sure its possible).