Freeware movie codec/source?

Started by
2 comments, last by Mark Tanner 23 years, 5 months ago
Hello, Apart from Smacker or Bink, does anyone know of any free or open source video codecs that allow you to play movie + sound in your game? (interleave sound with the video). I''m looking for something like FLC, but with sound capability. Or, failing that, is there really a good way to playback AVI /MPEG fullscreen at a good rate? Thanks! Mark
Advertisement
For play avi, mpeg for a slow pc,you can change the resolution to a 320x240,(the video must have 320x240).. With this, you really don''t play fullscreen (the video don''t resize), but you can see into a fullscreen. Is the same speed that you can see some video (not fullscreen) into a 1024x768 screen, but in this case you see a little video box.

-eng3d.softhome.net-
-----------------------------------------------"Cuando se es peon, la unica salida es la revolución"
I tried to find free source code ages ago - can''t be done, video compression is too complex for it to be released free. However, it is not as hard as most programers think to write - it just takes time.

I''m on my 3rd attempt at a video compressor (1st too slow, 2nd just not good enough.), and it''s currently down to 640Kb sec or so, at 640x480 at 24bit graphics, running at 16fps. I''ve got a long way to go, but I plan to release it as open source when finished, so if your willing to wait...

Otherwise, if you are going to develop your own, do the reserch - you will need it, and don''t avoid DCT''s - there not as hard as everybody thinks.
-Lethe
If you want to play MPEG/AVI/ASF files why not use Direct Show a multimedia playback API for Windows. You can get video running in any of your favorite formats in no time at all using Multimedia streaming. Why not try out the samples at
http://www.microsoft.com/directx/dxm/help/ds/mms/Sample_Code_mms.htm
If you have any linking problems you have to include some of the streaming libraries like:
strmbase.lib (strmbasd.lib for debug version) just do a search of the directX media libraries for (strm) becuase there is anouther library required beginning with am but I can't remember the name off the top of my head.
Microsofts documentation isn't very usefull for this.

Just remember these two sayings:
-Your wasting your talents trying to re-invent the wheel.
-To be great you must stand on the sholders of the greats.

If you want to create a really great video codec with higher compression and higher quality picture I would look up Wavelet because using Corel Draw 7 the wavelet image format produces smaller files with higher quality images. Good coding!

Edited by - Stiby on November 3, 2000 11:08:41 AM

Edited by - Stiby on November 3, 2000 11:09:31 AM
StibyI program therefore cant spell!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement