• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
d000hg

High quality, Low tech water

This topic is 4835 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I've read a few articles (such as Yann's) on getting pretty water. The mechanics of how the water moves / changes shape is all OK, but I'm wondering about the best rendering tecniques on lower-end hardware. Specifically, I'm developing on a GF2MX-based machine which imposes the major limitation - no shaders. Even though I can do vertex shaders in software I just don't want to learn shaders at this time. I'm also not keen on doing render-to-texture since I'd think that'd be prohibitively expensive on such low-end hardware? I currently just draw my water as transparent polygons which let you see the terrain underneath. I figure it would be pretty straightforward to alter the transparency of each vertex based on the viewing angle and vertex normal. And of course I could add specular lighting to the water as well. I should think these two effects in tandem would be quite attractive in a fast-paced game ( an offroad racer). Of course I wouldn't get any reflections, but are there any other performance/aesthetic negatives to this approach? Are there more simple improvement I can easily implement - like use the sky texture to render the water and fake a reflection for instance? Many thanks.

Advertisement
Definitely implement water transparency based on the viewing angle, but you could also simply map the sky texture to the water using sphere mapping. It'll get the job done.

I really think it's worth learning vertex shaders for this - without them you're more or less accepting that your water will have no vertex-level animation. I guess you might consider that acceptable...

For the water texture itself, you might want to look into DirectX-6 style bump mapping (using dudv maps, I believe). It should allow you to 'wave' your water a little bit at the pixel level.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!