• Announcements

• khawk

Download the Game Design and Indie Game Marketing Freebook   07/19/17

GameDev.net and CRC Press have teamed up to bring a free ebook of content curated from top titles published by CRC Press. The freebook, Practices of Game Design & Indie Game Marketing, includes chapters from The Art of Game Design: A Book of Lenses, A Practical Guide to Indie Game Marketing, and An Architectural Approach to Level Design. The GameDev.net FreeBook is relevant to game designers, developers, and those interested in learning more about the challenges in game development. We know game development can be a tough discipline and business, so we picked several chapters from CRC Press titles that we thought would be of interest to you, the GameDev.net audience, in your journey to design, develop, and market your next game. The free ebook is available through CRC Press by clicking here. The Curated Books The Art of Game Design: A Book of Lenses, Second Edition, by Jesse Schell Presents 100+ sets of questions, or different lenses, for viewing a game’s design, encompassing diverse fields such as psychology, architecture, music, film, software engineering, theme park design, mathematics, anthropology, and more. Written by one of the world's top game designers, this book describes the deepest and most fundamental principles of game design, demonstrating how tactics used in board, card, and athletic games also work in video games. It provides practical instruction on creating world-class games that will be played again and again. View it here. A Practical Guide to Indie Game Marketing, by Joel Dreskin Marketing is an essential but too frequently overlooked or minimized component of the release plan for indie games. A Practical Guide to Indie Game Marketing provides you with the tools needed to build visibility and sell your indie games. With special focus on those developers with small budgets and limited staff and resources, this book is packed with tangible recommendations and techniques that you can put to use immediately. As a seasoned professional of the indie game arena, author Joel Dreskin gives you insight into practical, real-world experiences of marketing numerous successful games and also provides stories of the failures. View it here. An Architectural Approach to Level Design This is one of the first books to integrate architectural and spatial design theory with the field of level design. The book presents architectural techniques and theories for level designers to use in their own work. It connects architecture and level design in different ways that address the practical elements of how designers construct space and the experiential elements of how and why humans interact with this space. Throughout the text, readers learn skills for spatial layout, evoking emotion through gamespaces, and creating better levels through architectural theory. View it here. Learn more and download the ebook by clicking here. Did you know? GameDev.net and CRC Press also recently teamed up to bring GDNet+ Members up to a 20% discount on all CRC Press books. Learn more about this and other benefits here.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
boolean

The SnesBox!

25 posts in this topic

One of my mates has just finished an Electrical and Computer Engineering course, and as such has been making quite a few project systems in his spare time. One of these systems is the SnesBox, a windows XP installation with an 80GB HDD with every NES, SNES, and Sega Mega drive rom ever made stored on it (nothing too new though to avoid legality problems). The system is encased in an original Super Nintendo case, complete with two authentic controllers, and has the power controlled by the actual power switch on the snes box. This means that from the outside the entire box acts like a normal super Nintendo system, even having a Mario XP boot screen when you start it up [smile]. Since the box is running on a PC motherboard (a mini-atx), there is a USB keyboard and mouse hooked up to it as well. This means that it can also be used to chat over the internet. He has recently tried to get N64 roms working, but this has two problems: There is something that is causing MASSIVE slowdown with a lot of the roms, which could be attributed to the video card. Also, they are still pretty new games, so a lot of people don’t like the idea of these roms being downloaded. SPECS: Hardware: Motherboard: EPIA M10000 Nehemiah RAM: 512DDR Kingmax HD: 40GB Hitachi 2.5" Power Supply: 60 Watt Morex Case: Modified Super Nintendo PAL version Specs: Clock speed: 1Ghz Bus speed: 266MHz Features: - Full use of front gameports via printer port interface - Functional power button and reset switch - Original power LED utilized - True to original snes look - no mods to front or top Cooling: - Top section: 30mm brushless fan(rear) - CPU: 40mm stock brushless fan - Power Supply and Hard disk: 25mm brushless fan(under motherboard) Power Consumption: - Standby: 4W - Idle: 28W - DivX: 35W (tested with a 112kbps DivX @ 320x240 running on VLC media player) - SNES emu: 41W (tested with ZSNES v1.42 running `FZERO' @ 640x480 Full Screen + 2xSAI engine) Capability: - Perfect playback of high quality DivX(no artifacts nor pausing) - Perfect SNES and Megadrive(Genesis) emulation with full 2xSAI rendering (and all 8-bit consoles) Applications: - Media box - Emulation station - Internet - Desktop publishing In total the system came to around AU$500. The Snesbox works great, and I have had a hell of a lot of fun playing old snes roms against friends all over again. All in all, it kicks mofo ass. From what I can tell, this is better than any of the other SnesBox systems out there, since it handles heat a lot better, uses all the existing buttons on the case for power and control, and still has the cartridge protector slot in working order (animalsnes is missing one). //Edit: The system has actually been upgraded with a new mobo, fan and RAM since these photos were taken.

Your friend should read the nintendo site. They state on their site that owning ROMS(Even if you do own the original cartrigdes yourself) is illegal.

I'm not here to make sure he's paying the rest of his life to Nintendo for copyright infringement, but I advise he's not going to sell these systems(Even if he does, he should make sure there are no copyrighted things are on the system).

Just a word of warning...

Toolmaker

I can assure you this is for a personal project. I tried convincing him to make me one, and he flat out told me 'No'. [smile]. I would say that as long as he does not try and sell the system with all the roms inside, Nintendo would not mind (I remember Sony saying a similar thing a while back: "We don't care if you copy SOME games for personal use, but as soon as you try and sell them, consider yourself busted'

Going a little off-topic: Why is it illegal to get the ROMs if you own the game? That's like saying that you're not allowed to make backups of your PC games (Does anyone actually do that?) It just strikes me as particularly stupid...

Raed the DMCA(Or whatever it's called) act. It's illegal in the US to make backup copies of software you legally own.

The laws are different per country. For instance, I'm allowed to make 1 backup copy for personal use in my country.

Toolmaker

I hate when doing what's legally right and doing what's morally right are two entirely different things. [depressed]

Quote:
Original post by Toolmaker
Raed the DMCA(Or whatever it's called) act. It's illegal in the US to make backup copies of software you legally own.

The laws are different per country. For instance, I'm allowed to make 1 backup copy for personal use in my country.
That sucks. I think you're allowed to make backups of software you purchase here too (Well, I hope you are, I've done it a few times before when the CD started getting all scrated up. Hooray for C&C Red Alert ;))
/me stops derailing this thread

Man, looks like all he needs is to etch out a new back for the Super Nintendo Super Famicom and then he's set!

Quote:

Actually, you're allowed to make as many backup copies as you want in your country. You paid for those backups with the extra money they charged you when buying your HD's and CD-R's.

That's absolutely awesome. I have a sudden urge to do a similar thing with one of my original Nintendo's.

Quote:
Original post by Evil Steve
Going a little off-topic: Why is it illegal to get the ROMs if you own the game? That's like saying that you're not allowed to make backups of your PC games (Does anyone actually do that?) It just strikes me as particularly stupid...

I think it has to do with the DMCA and copyright protection circumvention. The NES cartridges had some codes they sent back and forth to make sure they were "authentic."

What I don't aunderstand about the whole copywrong issue is, that there are tons of great games for these systems and some of them just weren't released in North America/Europe. So since not even the hardware is sold/in production anymore, what 's the problem with that? There are/were even some hpbbyist translation projects for some of these games (Seikken Densu II aka Secret Of Mana 2?).
If find this no-no-policy riduculous and I'd wish for all ROMS being out of production/sale to become PD after some (say 10) years, but I guess this is just wishful thinking *sigh*...

Quote:
Original post by boolean
I can assure you this is for a personal project. I tried convincing him to make me one, and he flat out told me 'No'. [smile]. I would say that as long as he does not try and sell the system with all the roms inside, Nintendo would not mind (I remember Sony saying a similar thing a while back: "We don't care if you copy SOME games for personal use, but as soon as you try and sell them, consider yourself busted'

Ok, forgot what I said.

One word: "Cool".

Back to the copyright thing again though and the quote "We don't care if you copy SOME games for personal use, but as soon as you try and sell them, consider yourself busted".

There is something weird in that. Because basicly, you could bend that quote all the way you want. For instance(This is used as an example and the statement is FALSE), when I say: "I copied Microsoft Visual Studio.NET 2003 Expensive++ edition for personal use", I could apply that quote, and state that Microsoft doesn't care.

I highly doubt that MS will care if I did, since many people who've used the IDE will actually buy it when they go professional(Since they already know the package, etc.). If I used MSVC and loved it, the chance I'll buy a Borland IDE + compiler is very small.

Toolmaker

Quote:
Your friend should read the nintendo site. They state on their site that owning ROMS(Even if you do own the original cartrigdes yourself) is illegal.
Bzzt! Wrong. Downloading ROMs is like downloading MP3s - it's legal if you own the copyrighted material already. Uploading either one for download, however, is emphatically not legal. Funny, eh?

Quote:
Bzzt! Wrong. You are allowed to make a backup copy of software you own. What you are not allowed to do is circumvent copy protection. That means that if the software contains copy protection such as asking for a key of sorts, the copy must as well. And therein lies the problem. Most people want to interpret "backup" as "unprotected copy."

Sorry, no dice.

Quote:
Original post by darookie
So since not even the hardware is sold/in production anymore, what 's the problem with that?
Consider the recent Namco Arcade Classics collections that have been released for Xbox, PS2, etc. If the rights to those games, most of which are about 20 years old, had reverted to the public domain after 10 years, Namco wouldn't be able to bilk us for games we've already played. But don't blame Namco. Blame fucking Disney, who got patent and trademark law changed so Mickey Mouse, etc wouldn't fall into the public domain!

Quote:
Back to the copyright thing again though and the quote "We don't care if you copy SOME games for personal use, but as soon as you try and sell them, consider yourself busted".
That's not a statement of law, that's the statement of one company, Sony, so don't apply it to the products/rights of any other company. The reason it's relevant is because patent and/or copyright law, I forget which, holds that a product shall revert to public domain if it is not "vigorously defended" (their language, not mine) by the rights holder. This is why Nintendo cracks down so fiercly on Metroid and Zelda "tributes": if they don't, those properties will no longer be theirs. The sole caveat is that the rights holder must demonstrably have become aware of the infringement, which is why making a Harry Potter Quidditch game and distributing it solely by SneakerNet amongst your family and friends is not a problem.

Finally, boolean, please tell your friend that he's done some bitchin' work there! Very nice, very cool.

Quote:
The reason it's relevant is because patent and/or copyright law, I forget which, holds that a product shall revert to public domain if it is not "vigorously defended" (their language, not mine) by the rights holder. This is why Nintendo cracks down so fiercly on Metroid and Zelda "tributes": if they don't, those properties will no longer be theirs.

It's neither actually. That rule relates to trademark law. This means you can make your Metroid or Zelda tribute game, as long as you don't actually use those words anywhere in them.

Quote:
Original post by Evil Steve
That sucks. I think you're allowed to make backups of software you purchase here too (Well, I hope you are, I've done it a few times before when the CD started getting all scrated up.
Here's the law as best as I understand it in the US.

You're allowed to make a single copy for archival purposes in addition to whatever you have. You can use this copy as long as both copies are not in use at the same time. (such as one person having two computers, he can't use Word at the same time on both computers).

You cannot circumvent any copy protection to make the archival copy. In a billion years, when Disney finally allows Mickey Mouse to go into public domain, you will still not be allowed to circumvent copy protection for any pd nintendo game.

Now, you have to ask yourself, are you circumventing anything by making a ROM of a game you have and using a legal emulator.

It's untested in court, so there is no answer.

Quote:
Original post by Oluseyi
Quote:
Original post by darookie
So since not even the hardware is sold/in production anymore, what 's the problem with that?
Consider the recent Namco Arcade Classics collections that have been released for Xbox, PS2, etc. If the rights to those games, most of which are about 20 years old, had reverted to the public domain after 10 years, Namco wouldn't be able to bilk us for games we've already played. But don't blame Namco. Blame fucking Disney, who got patent and trademark law changed so Mickey Mouse, etc wouldn't fall into the public domain!

But wouldn't Namco be able to do that, too if the games were PD? I mean you'd still need a license from Microsoft, Sony and Nintendo to make games or their recent platforms, don't you?
Some possibility to still make this legal would be a slight relaxation, which makes going PD dependable on actual use of the trademark/IP, e.g. if Namco didn't port/re-released a classic title or didn't use the game's theme for more than 10 years, it would become PD automatically.
So maintaining the rights would fully fall into the responsibility of the copyright owner, allowing for a very transparent handling of this.
But I'm not a lawyer so... [sad]

I don't understand why Disney needed to get the time extended. It seems to me that they are kind of like the living creator of Micky even if they are just a company. If they were viewed as the creator then they woudn't have to worry about him falling into public domain. I would feel that they have every right to keep him out of public domain. I do not however, think continualy pushing the copyright ownership laws back over and over to be a good way of doing that. Using a dead man's name to push a law through in an underhanded sneaky way, doesn't seem right either.

As far as game roms go I can't understand why game companies wont cash in on them. They could just let you buy ROM rights for a couple of bucks off a website and mail you a certificate. They wouldn't have to make the emulators, or even supply the ROMs. Just take your money and run. If they want to resell the game then maybe they could, I don't know, redo the graphics and sound.

Quote:
As far as game roms go I can't understand why game companies wont cash in on them. They could just let you buy ROM rights for a couple of bucks off a website and mail you a certificate. They wouldn't have to make the emulators, or even supply the ROMs. Just take your money and run. If they want to resell the game then maybe they could, I don't know, redo the graphics and sound.

Sega have done a lot in this area. Sonic Jam for the Saturn was a collection of the original Sonic games, where they remade them all from scratch. They weren't emulated, they actually remade them. The sound and music was significantly better, and the intro movie for Sonic CD was remade from the original cells. Once Genesis emulation got good enough, they licensed emulators behind the scenes. They used Kega to make the Sega Smash Pack, and a few other things I believe. Later on, when they got to things like Sonic Mega Collection for the Gamecube, they used gens. Despite the fact that they were emulated, they still remastered the Sonic CD intro from the original cells again, for this collection. They didn't manage to get Sonic Cd itself into this collection however, because they had trouble with the CD audio tracks and gens.

Apart from that, they sell each game on an individual basis, for quite cheap prices. They did it for Saturn games using a commercial version of the giri-giri emulator, and they did it again with the Mega Drive, using gens. Most of these projects have been limited to Japan only however. There is an english version of the deal with the Mega Drive however, using something like RealArcade I think.

Oh, thought I'd add, on the site I linked to above, Sega dumped all those roms themselves, including a few long lost games that had passed out of existance. Most notably, some of those games were streamed over a modem you could buy (in Japan only). You could dial in and download whatever games were up at the time, but they only remained on your system while the power was on. Those games never would've been seen again if it wasn't for this service.

That's pretty damn cool. Cibressus, this is definately something you have to do up.

That's got to be one of the coolest pieces of hardware out there. I mean, screw the Xbox. Get a SNESBOX! SnesBox's rule! Please be sure to tell the guy who made it that it is beyond cool!