• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
DayZero

** Blitz Super Breakout v1.1 ** - Arcade Remake

This topic is 4913 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Proud to present The second game in a series I simply call "Arcade Game Classics". Feedback and comment's are most welcome and appreciated! This is a remake of the Arcade Classic, Super Breakout. People burned money like crazy on this when it came out 1978 and it became a big hit like its predecessor Breakout. For those who don't know Super Breakout actually did consist of 3 three games in one. They are called Double Breakout, Progressive Breakout and Cavity Breakout. In my remake I have also included the original Breakout, so it's now four games in one! :) CONTROLS: Use your mouse to move paddle left/right. 'S' start game, 'G' choose game. See Readme.txt for more. Download here Here's a hard copy of the link: http://hem.passagen.se/dayzeron/downloads/Blitz_SuperBreakout_v11.zip ..Or if every thing else fails visit my homepage for downloads Dayzero Games Also be sure to check out my Blitz_Pong at this thread here Sing along [Edited by - DayZero on March 11, 2005 6:00:02 AM]

Advertisement
is your sourcecode for these available for download? wouldnt mind having a look what it takes to make this type of game?
lonefox

uhm.. this topic are not on fire. Damn, gota light a fire somewhere!
Super Breakout is great!

So try and let me know what you think and report your highscores! :) I have been testing it very much but if you still find any bugs it is very kind of you to report them!

as for the sourcecode, no I have not planned to release that, Maybe later.
If it's of interest I have put quite some effort to this game as of the other games I made/making. Sourcecode for this is around 1500 lines, nicely structured and commented.

Dayzero Games

WOW...

I really enjoyed this. Good job man.
FYI: (System Specs)

AMD "Barton" 2500+
512MB ram
128MB GFFX5200
WXP Pro

Another thing... I have some questions as to the architecture. Some times (especially when the ball is moving faster) the ball has imperfect collisions with the paddle.. (i.e It reverses Yvel b/f it hits). I have to ask.. when it sees a collision does it set the balls xposition to where it is adjacent to the paddle or does it just reverse... I can only assume that you test one velocity unit ahead and if it hits you just reverse it's y-vel, not setting it adjacent to the paddle.

This may have been part of the original design in the 70s, idk I was but a glimmer..., just an observation.

Yes... I know that's sick .... sorry :)

Really good job though liked it alot looking foward to future games... Galaga in the process? :D (I'd play your galaga over WCIII any day :P)

Thanks for the input!

Quote:
Original post by Empirical
Does not run. It changes to full screen but returns immidatly with Memory Access Violation.

I does work, just make sure when you extract it that you get the two sub-dir "Gfx" for Graphics and "Snd" for sound created else you will get Memory Access Violation. A part from that it should work if you have Directx 7.0+ and Win/XP/2000/ME/98.

toXic1337
Quote:
... I can only assume that you test one velocity unit ahead and if it hits you just reverse it's y-vel, not setting it adjacent to the paddle.

Well yes that's the way it works. But as you say it should be set according to the paddle instead. I will look into that and change it for an update later. Big Thanks for your input, it's appreciated.

I will also put some changes to the Breakout game to make it look more like the arcade version.

I don't know man... The whole thing with the error in the collision in the paddles kindof makes it seem more ... "1978ish". It's cool, I would try it the other way if you get the time to do an update like you say. But the way it is now may contribute more to the games "arcade" feeling.

Quote:
I does work, just make sure when you extract it that you get the two sub-dir "Gfx" for Graphics and "Snd" for sound created else you will get Memory Access Violation. A part from that it should work if you have Directx 7.0+ and Win/XP/2000/ME/98.

Ah yes. Winzip was set not to create paths for somereason. Very good It works fine!

The link is teh borken :(

Edit: Site link worked.

Great job on this. I'm curious, was it made in BlitzBasic or is that just part of the name? One suggestion is to make ESC exit the game from the "Classic 1978" screen. It's not really nice to force a user to sit on a screen like that and wait for a timer.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!