cost of commercial license for Unreal, Source, Doom3, Xbox, PS, game engines?

Started by
2 comments, last by Emmanuel Deloget 19 years, 1 month ago
Hello there! Does anyone have ballpark figures for the costs of licenses for commercial engines for the following: 1) Unreal game engine 2) Source (half-life) game engine 3) Doom 3 game engine 4) Xbox game engine 5) PS game engine Then, in terms of quality, how would you rank the above engines? Which have the best development tools? Thanks! Ranger
Autumn Rangers -- Storytelling in books, movies, and videogames. http://autumnrangersgame.com
Advertisement
Hundreds of thousands of dollars for any one of those.

This question has been asked at least 2-3 times the past week I think, try a search(if it works).
I think the unreal engine is a few hundred thousand dollars. Start mowing some lawns.

Don't know the others...as for PS and Xbox I dont think they themselves have game enignes..I dont know if you're talking about DirectX or OpenGL. But for those systems the people who make the games use those expensive commercial engines or make their own.
Hi,

According to the unreal site, Unreal 2004 engine costs $350,000 + 3% royaltee. The royaltee free license is $750,000. Id sites says that the Quake II engine is $250,000 + 5% royaltee. There is no public price for the Doom 3 enine, but rumors says it is something like $500,000 - with probable royaltees. The new unreal engine has no public price yet.

There is no xbox, gc, ps2 game engine - there are game engine which runs on these plateform. Unreal 2004 engine is one of them - it costs an addittional $100,000 per platform IIRC.

If you plan to buy one of those you may then consider to give me a small fraction of this money. I like money. :)

(and my English is really teh sux0rz)

HTH,

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement