On the popular topic of outsourcing.

Started by
19 comments, last by clunis 19 years, 1 month ago
Quote:Based on the original, now derailed and closed, thread at: http://www.gamedev.net/community/forums/topic.asp?topic_id=278935
I am interested in the details of creating/hiring an offshore development site. What a whopper topic on GameDev. In all my time spent here I've only seen two to three posters who weren't American. But I don't believe that I am stealing jobs from the states overseas. To put it frankly, I would love be able to do so much more with what I have. A dream of mine would be to invest $[comically low sum] into any of a few different game ideas of mine - I wouldn't have the luxery of a few million to throw around which even a mediocre company could do. $70,000 junior programmer annual salary versus $10-25,000? No contest for me. Sure, paying more usually corollates to higher quality, but beggers can't be choosers. Trying to realize this solely within America would be nigh impossible; it simply wouldn't happen, and in the end, nobody would get paid (maybe one guy, for a few years). If anybody is willing to provide more information on this process, or where it would be found, I would greatly appreciate it. Please do not derail this thread as the last one with your opinion on the pros or cons of globalization, various statistical data, or anecodatal evidence supporting your opinion.
Advertisement
You cant outsource game development.

There are no companies in India that would do this for you.

Indian outsourcing companies are specialized in business apps (JAVA,DATABASE,PHP, etc etc), they don't know jack about 3d graphics, math, game development.

Sorry.
Try Eastern Europe. They have very talented coders over there with high qualifications who are willing to work and love to stay at their home.
Seriously, give Russia, Poland, Romania, ... a try!
And with regards to the AP: there's nothing that cannot be outsourced if you do it with the right people.
Ok, lets say I am a polish programmer looking to pick up American jobs that are outsourced...

Do I...

(A) study databases and java, and other popular current technologies that American companies want on the cheap

(B) study 3d math, 3d graphics, read SIGGRAPH papers in my spare time, read up on all of the latest load balancing algorithms, even though nobody currently outsources these things

The answer is obviously A.

Game development is a very specialized field inside of computer science, you are not going to find a group of indian,polish, russian or what have you programmers that know how to do it. Even if you do, they will end up costing about as much as American ones.
AP: Are you trying to imply that there are no game developers in Eastern Europe?
This is just plain ignorant.
You've already been proven WRONG, BTW... Not to mention these guys, but what do I know - I'm just a stupid European who actually knows some guys in Poland and Russia[headshake]...

Quote:Original post by Anonymous Poster
Even if you do, they will end up costing about as much as American ones.

Yeah - I see you know what you're talking about.
Quote:Original post by Coda A27
In all my time spent here I've only seen two to three posters who weren't American. But I don't believe that I am stealing jobs from the states overseas.

You really have spent too little time here [smile]

If you're serious, I currently work for its.co.cr, an outsourcing company in Costa Rica, we work with such companies as Intel and Chiquita brands.

What exactly do you have in mind?
Kwizatz: According to the AP, there are no game developers in Costa Rica! [smile]
The AP is not only wrong about Eastern Europe but about India too. There are companies in India doing both outsourced coding and art for game development.
Dan Marchant - Business Development Consultant
www.obscure.co.uk
Quote:Original post by Anonymous Poster
You cant outsource game development.

There are no companies in India that would do this for you.

Indian outsourcing companies are specialized in business apps (JAVA,DATABASE,PHP, etc etc), they don't know jack about 3d graphics, math, game development.

Sorry.

Sample 1
Sample 2

Noob

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement