hierarchy chart (flowchart) software suggestions

Started by
23 comments, last by JD 19 years, 1 month ago
I have just tested SmartDraw's Organization Chart Software and OrgPlus and they both did not seem to easily perform what I need to do. Above all, they were both too much for what I needed and out of my price range.

Matthew Doucette, Xona Games

Advertisement
Quote:Original post by Clash
I highly recommend Enterprise Architect by Sparx Systems.
I just downloaded Enterprise Architect with the download link they give and when I click to run/install it, it responds, "The parameter is incorrect." and quits!

Here's the link:
http://www.sparxsystems.com.au/bin/easetup.exe

Quote:Original post by kingnosis
For manual contruction of flow charts and hierarchy charts, I would try something like Inkscape, which is open source (read "Free!").

I just download and installed Inkscape. It gives me the same error everytime I run it:
Quote:One or more extensions failed to load

The failed extensions have been skipped. Inkscape will continue to run normally but those extensions will be unavailable. For details to troubleshoot this problem, please refer to the error log located at: C:\Documents and Settings\MyUserName\Application Data\Inkscape\extension-errors.log

And "extension-errors.log" contains all this:
Quote:Extension "AI Input" failed to load because a dependency was not met.
Dependency::
type: executable
string: /usr/bin/perl

Extension "AI Output" failed to load because a dependency was not met.
string: pstoedit

Extension "Dia Input" failed to load because a dependency was not met.
string: dia
description: In order to import Dia files, Dia itself must be installed. You can get Dia at http://somesite.com

Extension "EPSI Output" failed to load because a dependency was not met.
string: ps2epsi

Extension "EPS Input" failed to load because a dependency was not met.
string: gs

Extension "GIMP Gradients" failed to load because a dependency was not met.
type: plugin
string: gimpgrad

Extension "Grid" failed to load because a dependency was not met.
type: plugin
string: grid

Extension "Postscript Input" failed to load because a dependency was not met.
string: pstoedit

Extension "Sketch Input" failed to load because a dependency was not met.
string: skconvert

Extension "SVGZ Output" failed to load because a dependency was not met.
string: gzip

Extension "Text Input" failed to load because a dependency was not met.
string: /usr/bin/perl

Extension "Windows Metafile Input" failed to load because a dependency was not met.
string: wmf2svg

I am not having very much luck with these programs. :(

I have finally downloaded and tried Dia and it gave me this error (in a console window):
Quote:I/O warning : failed to load external entity "NULL"
I ran it again, and the error no longer shows up. I wonder what that meant?

It appears Dia has the ability I am looking for. You can create two boxes and then connect them with a line. If you move either box, the link will also move as it is connected to both boxes. No need to move your hierarchy boxes around and then have to move all your 'connecting' lines afterwards. (Perhaps some of the other programs have this feature, but I was unable to quickly find it.)

The only problem I have with Dia is to keep the text within each box connected to the box, you have to 'group' them. This makes it impossible to edit the text without first ungrouping them. After you edit the text, you have to them regroup them.

Please, if anyone had created hierarchy-styled charts to describe their project's units and/or functions, please let me know how.

Quote:Original post by Matthew Doucette
It appears Dia has the ability I am looking for.

I spoke too quick. I pressed SHIFT-CTRL-B (send backward command) and it crashed and I lost my work.

This is my last post. I am completely open for suggestions on how to create my heirarchy charts.

If you're looking for UML tools, try this listing:

UML tools

Ignore those "$2999 dollar" crap things and look for $0 or close to it. There's alot of them.

The (free) one I've been using is the "Community Edition" of Visual Paradigm, but there's lots of others there.

I think most of the stuff on that page is very object oriented design-ish, so maybe it's not what you need. Old style "flowcharting" software is hard to come by nowadays, so I'm told.
Quote:Original post by Tebriel
If you're looking for UML tools, try this listing:

UML tools

What does UML stand for?

Ignore those "$2999 dollar" crap things and look for $0 or close to it. There's alot of them.

So I guess this would be a better link! :)

The (free) one I've been using is the "Community Edition" of Visual Paradigm, but there's lots of others there.

I think most of the stuff on that page is very object oriented design-ish, so maybe it's not what you need. Old style "flowcharting" software is hard to come by nowadays, so I'm told.

My project is not object oriented, although there does exist OO in the design. Basically, I would like two things:

1) a flow chart
2) a hierarchy of my units (with details getting as low level as my individual functions)

It appears most software is built around showcasing the object oriented hierarchy, not the unit hiearchy.

BTW, thanks for the response. r++

Yeah, that's a better link! :)

UML = Unified Modeling Language

Since you're not doing OOP those tools might not be ideal, but I was thinking you might be able to use one of them to come close to what you need.

You may want to look into (using UML terms):

Class Diagrams (as a hierarchy chart...you can specify functions in these)
and
Activity Diagrams (as a "flowchart")

You could probably use those to at least come close to what you want.
The community edition of Visual Paradigm is pretty nice for this stuff.

UML stuff, visual examples

I tried umlpad and dia and chose dia for now. Not sure about its stability but the line drawing/config is much better in dia. I intend to use it in class and state diagrams but it has flowcharting symbols and others as well. Best part is the zooming as you have large area to work with. It uses gimp for windows toolkit like gimp does. Actually I think the author might have borrowed some gimp code which is cool by me.
You have to update everything manually with dia don't? Or is there some-sort-of UML plug-in I haven't seen?

It probably uses gtk (gimp-tool-kit) which is a very popular widget kit for Linux and has been ported to Windows and other systems.
- The trade-off between price and quality does not exist in Japan. Rather, the idea that high quality brings on cost reduction is widely accepted.-- Tajima & Matsubara

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement