Atomic Pong Beta 7 download

Started by
4 comments, last by lancekt 19 years, 1 month ago
Here's another beta of my up-and-coming game, Atomic Pong! This beta finally has a full featured menusystem in it, which adds a lot of new functionality to the game (highscore system, easily change video/mouse/sound options, etc). Comparing it to the last beta (beta 5), this beta has smoother transitions between levels, a new bonus routine after every 5 levels completed, and has a total of sixteen levels to play. The game's code is really close to being finished, so hopefully you won't find any bugs at all. Atomic Pong Beta 7 Just download it and extract the zip file into a folder on your harddrive, and doubleclick 'Atomic Pong Beta.exe' to play. It's a DirectX 9.0c game, so it will only work on Windows-based computer systems. A LOT of bug fixes were implemented, so I think I have all the major bugs fixed (game crashes, etc). However, if you DO run into a problem then be sure to post it here please. Thanks for the help, I really appreciate it! Screenshots: Main Menu Options Menu High Score List Gameplay Screenshot Gameplay Screenshot Gameplay Screenshot *EDIT: Added more screenshots! :)
"The crows seemed to be calling his name, thought Caw"
Advertisement
Wow! Great game! At first I was expecting some simple pong game, instead I got a really nice breakout game [smile]. Great stuff. I loved how you added in the powerups, makes for very fun game play. My fav combo was the large ball + fireball. Mass destruction [grin].

It worked great on my computer, no slow downs or bugs or anything of that sort when I tried it out. I have a P4 3.2ghz, 128mb ati radeon 9600 pro, 1gb memory. Latest DX runtime + sdk.

This is definitly commercial grade work, it would make for a great shareware or standalone product, or something like that. One thing that I would like to see though is ambient background music. The sound effects were great, but the only thing that it seemed to be missing was the music.

Controls and gameplay were awesome as well. Graphics and particles ran smoothly and were really nice. The tech theme was intresting as well, however I could see a little less 'busy' theme used. Menu's were nice as well, smooth alpha transparencies.

I'll make sure to give it another run later when I have some more time. Keep up the good work! I'd definitly recomend this game for anyone reading this, it's worth your time! Make sure you keep us updated as well.

- Drew
Thanks for the feedback Drew_Benton, and I'm glad you liked my game! :)

About the music... Actually, the Atomic Pong engine has a full music system already coded into it. You can hear that music system in action once you get a high score (music fades in and out, has a dedicated soundtrack so sound effects don't interrupt it, etc). Unfortunately, I just don't have any music files to put into the game! I don't know of any composers who'd give up their awesome music for free (this game is going to be freeware, but I may set up a 'donation' system when I get a PayPal account set up); since I can't guarantee they'd get any money at all, I don't have any music files to include with the game. Plus, I don't have the equipment to make my own music, so I can't write any game music of my own. :(

BTW, try this combo:
Fireball + Penetrator + Big Ball = clear a level very fast!
Fantastic game! The physics feels very meaty and solid, and the sound effects rock. Great work!

One suggestion: Maybe you could make the blocks that take several hits to clear change visually in some way when you hit them?
Orin Tresnjak | Graphics ProgrammerBethesda Game StudiosStandard Disclaimer: My posts represent my opinions and not those of Bethesda/Zenimax, etc.
Quote:Original post by lancekt: One suggestion: Maybe you could make the blocks that take several hits to clear change visually in some way when you hit them?

Thanks for the compliments, lancekt! :)

I've been thinking about that idea that you mentioned, where the blocks show that they've been hit... I'll see if I can implement it. Maybe I'll have something cool for you to see in the next beta! :)

---

EDIT: Just got it to work, and there's very little performance degredation. Pretty cool! Is this something like what you were suggesting, lancekt?

Preliminary damage modelling

[Edited by - Dookie on March 1, 2005 5:36:38 PM]
Quote:Just got it to work, and there's very little performance degredation. Pretty cool! Is this something like what you were suggesting, lancekt?

I was just thinking you could have them change color or something. The way you did it is way better. :)
Orin Tresnjak | Graphics ProgrammerBethesda Game StudiosStandard Disclaimer: My posts represent my opinions and not those of Bethesda/Zenimax, etc.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement