Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SGreth

Stop the DX8 Maddness :D

In DX8 you *will* be able (with more ease thanks to DXUtil''s) to do your 2D games...of course you can still use old DX7 interfaces with the new SDK, but you''d be dumb to not convert your 2D game to use 3D hardware. Yeah, you might lose some users because they don''t have a 3D card, cry me a river...when the first X-wing came out I had a 386sx and it ran like crap on it, most of my friends still had 286''s!!! You can pick up relatively cheap 3D cards pretty easily today, and saying that "I don''t want to leave low-end users out" sonds more like lazyness than it does a valid excuse. Push the limits, and the industry, don''t let low-end users get in the way of your imagination...unless of course the evil corporation funding you says so... ~S''Greth

I think I''m going to have to agree with SGreth on this one. Why? Well I checked out www.pricewatch.com and I could pick up a baseline 3D card for roughly $12.00. I can get a brand name Diamond Edge 3D for $17.00. That one has 2MB of video ram, and is a PCI card.

Lets see, the average video game costs what? $55.00 or a little more. So lets just make this scenario...

I am a game developer who just finished the great 2D game "Snails III the return of slug joe". I wrote the game entirely in 2D graphics, but decided to use the 3D API so that I could get a little higher performance. The game sells for $45.00 at local gaming stores (EB, Babagges, online, etc.) I sell it fairly cheap because I know its still "2D" in appearance and not going to beat Diablo II off the shelf anytime soon. My concerns are that I want gamers to be able to buy the game, but I also want the average consumer to pick up the game as well...

It has the right price tag, however it says "3D hardware required" so I must bust out my wallet and pick me up a Diamond Edge 3D for $17.00. $45.00 + $17.00 = $62.00. That is around the cost of Diablo II, and it doesn''t even come with a video card!

Now your probably saying "CodeMonkey, that''s not realistic" because nobody is going to want to buy the bottom of the line 3D card when they can get a Voodoo3 or better for a couple of bucks more....

...well my point being that if I can go out and get a 3D card for $17 with 2MB of RAM what do you think the average person will have? If they are struggling with there old 2D cards still, they probably haven''t bought any popular gaming titles in the last few years, and are still stuck on Tetris or something like that. Its time to use that 486DX/66 as a door stop my friends! Or install linux and use it as a nameserver!

Its time to weight the fact that you don''t want to learn 3D API''s vs. what customers want to buy. The argument "3D hardware isn''t popular enough yet to rely on a 3D-only API" is no longer valid in the world of hardware today. Even Laptops have 3D acceleration now! One or two years ago I would have to argue this point, but as it stands now Sgreth has it right on the money.

Don''t be lazy, start moving towards the bleeding edge of low end technology and someday you can try to catch up with the rest of us. ;-)

(PS: If you find my rantings to be false and do not agree with them, that''s cool... but your WRONG!!!! BWAHAHAHHA!)

CodeMonkey 3D: The Return.

LOL, nothing is wrong with old games...hell, I''ll take a game of emulated pac-man or Commander Keene any day =) But if you want your 2D game to run faster, use the new hardware that''s out there! Don''t try to target everybody, and if you do, stick to the DX7 interface, it''s not taboo =) Heck, use 13h if you''re really looking for pure gaming =) I''m just saying, some posts on here have gotten a bit out of hand, people freaking out because you can''t do *this* or *that* with the new DX8 interfaces...if you don''t like it...don''t use it
~S''Greth