Best Sprite Program

Started by
10 comments, last by warhammerdude20 19 years, 1 month ago
I am a developer not artist (though I do try), and I have a friend who wants to make some sprite art for me. He asks : What is the best program to use for sprite art? Thanks.
Advertisement
The most popular _FREE_ software for image manipulation and creation is The GIMP. Just go google it, I dont know the url.

Personally though, MSPAINT owns all... If you can create nice sprites in paint you basically own the world...

Just da' 2 cents from da' homeless homies

toXic1337
toXic1337
Depends, Photoshop is good for high color stuff and comes with a variety of tools, i use it on occasion for high end stuff and touching up 3D models. But i tend to agree with the MSPaint vote, considering i use it all the time, versatile, simple and free.
kool thx, its for me really but i was thinking more like sega style sprites, i have photoshop but its dint strike me as a sprite program
*Japan is the Koooooolest Country in the world eva*The strength comes not from muscle, but from speed.
Pro Motion is a great program for 256 color work. I've heard that it was/is used for things like Gameboy, GBA and PDA games. Costs about 20 bucks and its totally worth it. Its designed not just for single images, but entire animations as well, and the custom format is a breaze to load. Also supports the common formats like bmp, and plug-ins for load/save and various tools.

For high color work the gimp is great once you get used to the interface. For free it can't be beat. Paintshop pro is also nice for around 100 bucks. Finally at the high-end there's photoshop which is the most feature-rich but its pricey. If you're looking for high-color work at least give the Gimp a shot, for free you can't lose.

[EDIT]
Quote:twisky1608
kool thx, its for me really but i was thinking more like sega style sprites, i have photoshop but its dint strike me as a sprite program

Then Definately check out Pro Motion. [smile]

throw table_exception("(? ???)? ? ???");

I prefer Paint, Gimp isn't bad, Graphics Gale is like Paint but a little better (I'm just not use to the interface.) Eitherway it doesn't mater. All you need to make a sprite is the pencil tool and a color pallete ;)
You mean MsPaint?
Well...
Signature:http://www.easternraider.comhttp://www.easternraider.com/gallery
For the 8bit pixel graphics program, I would say that there's nothing better then good old (& free) Grafx2 (http://www.eclipse-game.com/?menu=tools⊂=graphic&dat=7). I've also read some good opinions about Deluxe Paint 2, though it's actually very old program.

There's also Paint... ;-) before grabbing Grafx2, I've drawn some things using it.
Mspaint is a decent program for drawing small sprites. The biggest problem I have with it though is that it gets clunky if you want to draw with many different colors. I tried Gimp, but I found it less than optimal for drawing small 32x32 or 16x16 sprites. If your sprites are large then it might be a good program, but it really didn't seem to be designed for pixel by pixel drawing, at least when I used it.

Personally, I use Tilestudio( http://tilestudio.sourceforge.net/ ), and like it very much. It's designed to draw tiles and not large images, so the features are all centered around what it sounds like you want to do. Switching between many colors is (I find at least) much much easier than with paint. Additionally, it has some very nice features, specifically the ability to lighten and darken pixels and a blur tool. The darken and lighten tool isn't always going to give you good looking ranges for nice shading (I've found it tends to darken or lighten too much for this use), but when used in tandem with the blur tool you can make some nice looking and very quick shading jobs. Even just outlining your sprite in black and blurring its body will often give you a decent pillow shade. Not a way to make excellent sprites, but for an unexperienced artist who wants to pump out the sprites it might be a big help. Admittedly, the features I mentioned aren't unusual in image editing software, but if your thinking of using just mspaint they're certainly a step up. And significantly, the program is free :)
does tilestudio show animation for a set of tiles?

Beginner in Game Development?  Read here. And read here.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement