Facts on figures, how many people play games on linux?

Started by
13 comments, last by Drag0n 19 years ago
Hi, I'm doing a final year project researching the possiblities of developing games which will run and nix and windoze without having to ammend the code. I was wondering if anyone knew where I could get any facts on figurees on how many linux users play the core games like Doom III through linux? I'm trying to get an idea of the demand/percentage of users who play through linux compared to windoze and or mac.
Advertisement
I play games under linux.. Mostly UT2k4/Serious Sam though cause Doom 3 sucked.
I love my Enemy Territory in Linux.
My stuff.Shameless promotion: FreePop: The GPL god-sim.
I own a grand total of 3 computer games. Quake, Quake3 and Duke Nukem 3D. I play all of them on linux. (No I don't play pirated games either, I just don't play games that much). Not that it helps the original poster, but still :) I don't think there is any accurate way to measure what was requested.
I play big titles like Quake 3 Arena, RTCW, and RTCW:ET. I've played Myth 2, but haven't really gotten into it. I still haven't played Railroad Tycoon 2, but I did purchase it some time back. I also haven't had as much time to play games these days.

I play Orbz, Gish (I only have the demo but it's fun), Bridge Constructor Set (demo again), and recently I had a lot of fun with Dark Horizons: Lore Invasion. As a game reviewer for Game Tunnel, I got a sneak peak at their soon to be 2.00 release.

Lux is a game that gets underestimated as just a Risk clone, but it is definitely more than that.

And of course there are plenty of other independently made games available.

As for your research: keep in mind that gamers will tend to have a Windows machine for games because (1) games sometimes come out exclusively for it and (2) games will sometimes take months to be ported to Linux if they do get ported. So your stats might not indicate whether or not they would buy games if they were available for Linux since they may already have the Windows version anyway. I have Quake 3 Arena because I didn't already own the game when I found the Linux version. On the other hand, I bought RTCW and that would be credited as a sale for Windows, but I play it primarily on my Linux machine.

But if you want to see the demand, go to places like http://www.happypenguin.org/ to see the number of visitors and posters.
-------------------------GBGames' Blog: An Indie Game Developer's Somewhat Interesting ThoughtsStaff Reviewer for Game Tunnel
I play Enemy Territory, Tuxracer, XBill ([razz]), all that.

Wait, you can play the Serious Sam series on Linux? [grin]

[Edited by - Captain Maple on March 8, 2005 11:13:01 AM]
Link to first and second encounter linux installers :D
Quote:Original post by eedok
Link to first and second encounter linux installers :D

Thank you, sir. [smile]

Seems the files are still beta, but it's good that they (Croteam) are working on porting the SS series to Linux. [grin]
Well, it isn't Croteam doing the porting. It's Ryan C. Gordon (Icculus).
IIRC he was paid to do it wasn't he?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement