• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Telastyn

Language curiosity

This topic is 4915 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I'm curious if a language I'm not familiar with [but others here might be] or perhaps a language I already know, but not well enough has a particular feature. Most interpreted languages, such as PHP and perl are not strongly typed, and allow variable definition pretty much anywhere. Similarly to how you can add "members" to a perl hash [which isn't really expanding the object, just adding a new named member to a hash table...] I wonder if other languages allow this sort of additive construction of structures/classes/objects, without inheritance? Basically being able to declare extra member functions/variables outside of the main declaration, due to an optional include or interface being available. In C++ this sort of scenario is often solved by friend functions [think the common cout friend functions], or by #ifdef's; which is far messier than it should be it seems.

Advertisement
If I understand you correctly you're asking if other languages let you do:

// psuedocode
class SomeClass
{
someMember
otherMember
}

SomeClass sc;

sc.newMember = something;

If that's what you're asking, Python allows this (but I hate code that uses it)

In javascript you can do things like that.

x = {foo: "asdf", bar: {baz: 4, array: [0, 1, 2, 3]}};
print(x.foo);
x.bar.baz += x.bar.array[3];
x["bar"] = x["bar"]["baz"];

Or something, it's been a while since I've used javascript.

Note: javascript != Java

Why is javascript getting changed to lowercase?

If you require that behaviour in a language that doesn't provide it "natively", you can always make use of an appropriate data structure. For example, in C++ you can acheive a limited measure of 'dynamic typing' by representing things as some generic root Object class, which in turn wraps std::map<string, Object*>.

Eh, sort of. More like this though:

some_header.h

class something{
// stuff
};

network.h

// optional networking code

something::net_send(){
// some new optional interface for something
// can be nicely excluded on builds for non-networked
// hosts
//
// and does not require inclusion trickery to ensure network.h
// interfaces are visible to this implimentation.
}

This is perhaps a bad example, as this sort of thing can be done fairly easily with templating or a #ifdef _network_ block in the something declaration...

Hrm. Something like that though.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!