• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

I'm puzzled by the API compatibility

This topic is 4740 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I'm now using some win2000 APIs in my program,but these APIs is not available in win98.but my program works well in win98,how can MS does this?

Advertisement
Which API calls are you using?
It is possible that Win98 has those API calls, but they are not documented.

also there are many calls supported by both win98 and win2k, but in win2k there are additional parameters and messages that can be used. These parms and messages are simply ignored by win98 (or possible are undocumented and work with later patches) so you app can still work. Also some api calls are just stubbed in win98 so the app will run, but calls to that api function dont do anything but return success or fail (depending on how they want it to respond).

what api calls are you using that work in both?

As a sidenote, if an api call is considered unspoorted by win98, dont expect it to work on win98. this is true even if you test it and it works on your copy of win98. there is no garuntee that on someone elses pc it would not work.

another question:

for example,SetThreadToken is unavailable in windows98.I have a simple program to test it:

#include "windows.h"
int main(int argc, char* argv[])
{
SetThreadToken(0,0);

return 0;
}

I'm also puzzled ,why this code not crash on windows 98?

Just because code doesn't cause a crash, it's not necessarily true that the code works or doesn't have the potential to cause a crash.

Some commands are there in the libraries in the 9x series, but not implemented. I second Thunder_Hawk here, it might not crash, but also might not do what you expect it to do.

Sometimes you get some additional libraries installed by another product (e.g. IE) that will provide you with those commands.

But you're right, actually i'd expect it to crash. The MSDN is 99,9% right on the availability of commands. If MS doesn't know it then nobody does.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement