• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Grahf750

object i/o with inheritance problem

This topic is 5031 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I wrote student objects to a file and then read them from the file. When I read them the data members of the student that are inherited from the abstract person class like id and name read back as 0 and null. I then made a variable in the student class called something just for testing purposes. When I read the students back again something comes back as the number I set it to but the others were 0 and null still. Therefore I am thinking that because they are inherited from Person this is messing them up when I read them back. Does anbyody have any ideas on how to fix this thanks?

Advertisement
Just today I ran into a similar problem and fixed it by making helper functions to get at the class's variables.

You need to write that data explicitly, unless you're doing something very evil (and likely to break in a lot of weird ways) like fwrite'ing the entire object directly (with a reinterpret_cast<char *> and all). Probably the best thing would be to have a virtual 'write to stream' method for your classes; in the child, call the parent's method, then write out the child-specific data to the stream.

However, it's better to be educated than merely to have your question answered.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!