• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
ehsan_the_tiamat

normal map question

This topic is 4828 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Advertisement
If you have a grayscale heightmap, you could use a Sobel filter on it to get hold of an normalmap.

I don't really know how to do it yet, since I only skimmed through that chapter in Game Programming Gems 2. I noticed tho that it has PS 1.1 code to do it in a shader.

D3DXComputeNormalMap().
please don't post two threads about the same question.
simply post a reply to this one.

THX and how i can generate a heightmap of a particular texture then convert it to normal map???
i posted it again because the previous one was closed
these moderators suck. my previous post was closed because i've put some "-"s
in front of my title.
i'm member in many forums and its a way to make attention to your topic[silly way but it works!] and nobody says "dont put "-"s in front of your topic". this could be a good idea that they write such rules in somewhere and post a warning then close the topic. anyway gamedev's forum is the best i've seen. but has some little problems

Quote:
THX and how i can generate a heightmap of a particular texture then convert it to normal map???

An extremely trivial way would be to convert the texture to greyscale and assume the intensity of a given pixel corresponds to it's height.

However, that'll probably look crap [smile].

You really need to author the heightmap seperate to the texture, or get an artist to work on it for you. Whilst they often tend to correspond I don't think there is a good algorithm that'll take you from your texture to your heightmap.

Quote:
these moderators suck.

Grow up. In this instance, the moderators are here to "protect" us from people who don't follow the rules and to generally maintain a clean and appropriate environment on the forums.

Quote:
i'm member in many forums and its a way to make attention to your topic[silly way but it works!] and nobody says "dont put "-"s in front of your topic". this could be a good idea that they write such rules in somewhere and post a warning then close the topic.

I'm a member of various forums, and there are general rules and conventions that apply across them all. But don't make the mistake and assume that they all work the same way. Do you see any other topics in this forum with lots of "------------" before/after them?

Also, for the rules - try here[smile]

hth
Jack

Quote:
Original post by ehsan_the_tiamat
how does games have a texture and a corresponding heightmap(that could be converted to normal map) for that texture??? i've seen it in doom 3 resource files

They make them by hand, or derive them from high definition 3D models. Often this stuff is done by an artist.

It is very difficult, not impossible, to just take a texture map (a digital camera shot of a brick wall, for example) and then generate a good looking height/normal map.

Most of the time you'll want to get a skilled artist to generate this sort of asset. If you want to know how they do it, try asking one [smile], I'm but a mere programmer...

hth
Jack

Quote:
Original post by tool_2046
I saw this link dropped a few weeks ago. The page contains instructions for creating normal maps with a flashlight and a digital camera.

That is awesome!!! I'm definetly going to try that sometime.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!