• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
GiantPaul

Looks good in 3d modeler and ugly in game

This topic is 4917 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I render a sword in milkshape3D and it looks great. Edges are smooth. Then when I use .x file in my program then this sword looks ugly! The edges are like a staircase! And it's just blocky. What do I do?

Advertisement
this is because the modeler is smoothing out the edges

this is usually too slow for games
increase the resolution to reduce the effect

Usually you can prevent this artifact by smoothing the normals. Do you have lighting enabled in your game?

Depending on how you created/imported the mesh in the code, you may want to average out some of the vertices. Take a "stair-step" that goes through points A, B, C, and D. Leave A and C the same, then average B to the midpoint between them. Then do the same thing with B, C, and D, but use the original value of B to find the new location for C, etc. Basically, create a new mesh, smooth out the vertices, then assign the new mesh to the old pointer/object. I ran into this problem with a height map a while back. GameDev actually had an article not too long ago on this solution. Granted, working with a mesh is a little bit different and it depends on how much control you have over the vertices of the mesh, but the principle should be the same.

There may be another way around this using Milkshape3D, but I'm not familiar with the intricacies of that program, so all I have to offer is a coding solution.

odd, i use milkshape for my models and have never ran into this problem.

1) are you exporting while in animation mode?
2) are you dramatically changing the scale of the model when you render it?
3) which export are you using? the JT or dx8?

Can you post a screenshot/exported image from the modeller, and a screenshot from the game? Maybe your normals are set to per-face not per-vertex but it would help to see exactly what's going on...

the model is fine, i bet its just lighting poorly.

u could make a normal mapper and make a bump mapped game then it will light
properly.

gouraud diffuse shading is shit, no other way to put it.

look at my model -=-
http://www.geocities.com/magnus_wootton/Tankp.jpg

i convert it to high poly then store the normals in a texture once its wrapped.

gouraud sucks... plainly put.

u might as well not light at all.

species847 is a stupid little piece of shit who talks like a dyslexic cat.
u annoy the piss out of me. u dont know fuck all compared to me.

[Edited by - Magnus Wootton on March 2, 2005 5:26:53 AM]

Dude - if ur lines are stepped , thats cos the line anti-aliasing is not switched on. The same happens with Meshes created in 3DStudio Max.

U can enable this in code or via the GFX Card interface - in ATI its called
"SmoothVision" and u have the option of 2x/4x/6x/8x ... The higher u go , the more ur frame rate will drop.

Progs like 3DSMax dont do real renders like we do but rather Ray Tracing which is more complex but a better resolution.

u ol sp34x 1337 & m0b1l3 f0n3 h4x0rz h3r3 datz t3h kw3l lol!!111one

Anyway, if you want to speak english one day, don't forget I won't waste my time to decipher your posts. I have loads of more interesting things to do. Don't forget you post on a FORUM. We grant you some time to write your text. This is not irc, or any other instant messaging system. So why don't you use plain English to share your ideas with others?

Or maybe you want me to use French slang?

(Sorry for this obvious rant. These "u", "ur", and so on are a PITA.)

Special mention to Magnus Wootton: please read the definition of politeness. And thanks for your insightful answer: "shit", "sucks", "fuck", + insults. Any more interesting words?

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!