• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
kayX

changing world matrix or camera. which is faster?

This topic is 5007 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I am wondering whether it would be faster to transform 5k mesh containing 5k vertex using world matrix is faster or transforming the camera matrix for 5k times. What is the avg time needed to transform the camera? any clue?

Advertisement
Uhm, unless I'm mistaken there shouldn't be any difference to which one you apply "most tranformation" as the matrix you pass in is the final, regardless of the number of rotations and scaling, it will end up as one matrix.

But, generally you should keep the camera static, at least for each "rendering pass" (with expections)... the world matrix is the one you use for placing objects and rotating them... just use them as you would use a ordinary camera (I don't think you would run around with your camera taking shots of every object where you want it to be in the picture, you would mount it and move the objects right?)

However I believe there is no difference in doing either one of them, perhaps there is some time saving in only modifying one, but not something you would go create hacks for.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!