Accessing base class functions

Started by
2 comments, last by Cygon 19 years, 1 month ago
Is it possible, when dealing with an derived object, to call the functions for the base class?

class A{
public:
     // data members

virtual void serialize()
     {
          // code
     }

};

class B : public A
{
public:
     void serialize()
     {
          // code
     }
};

int main()
{
     B bObject;

// call serialize for class A and B here

return 0;
}

Because I'm a little lazy and have a base class with about 17 data members, is it possible to call A::serialize and then B::serialize, both on the B object? I mean, I doubt it, because of, you know, typing and all, but, good to check anyway.
[size="2"][size=2]Mort, Duke of Sto Helit: NON TIMETIS MESSOR -- Don't Fear The Reaper
Advertisement
Might you be looking for...

bObject.Serialise();
dynamic_cast<A>(bObject).Serialise();

? You should even be able to get away with a static_cast<A>, depending on whether B is inherited from A, which in your example it is... So yeah, static_cast should work...

bObject.Serialise()
static_cast<A>(bObject).Serialise();

Or am I missing your point here?

CJM
Sure, just specify the class for which you want to call the method like this:

class Base {    public:        virtual void foo() {}};class Derived : public Base {    public:        virtual void foo() {}};int main() {    Derived x;        x.Base::foo();    x.Derived::foo();}

-Markus-
Professional C++ and .NET developer trying to break into indie game development.
Follow my progress: http://blog.nuclex-games.com/ or Twitter - Topics: Ogre3D, Blender, game architecture tips & code snippets.
...or did you intend to automatically call A::serialize() upon B::serialize() being called. That's the responsibility of B's implementation, meaning you should do it like this

//// B's serialize() implementation//void B::serialize() {  A::serialize();  // Serialize own stuff}

-Markus-
Professional C++ and .NET developer trying to break into indie game development.
Follow my progress: http://blog.nuclex-games.com/ or Twitter - Topics: Ogre3D, Blender, game architecture tips & code snippets.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement