• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Thrawn80

Sticky Interfaces

This topic is 4920 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi all, I think I'm lacking in some basic concepts of interfaces... For example : class IMyInterface { public : virtual void renderObject(void) = 0; virtual ~IMyInterface(void) {}; } class CMyParentRenderer : public IMyInterface { public : virtual void renderObject(void); } now comes : class CMyChildRenderer : public CMyParentRenderer { // Do I have to implement IMyInterface as well? } I have certain situations where I only need the parent class to implement the interface, but the child class uses the parent's functionality... 1) What happens if I do the above? Do I have to implement my parent class' interface as well? 2) If I do this, IMyInterface instance = new CMyChildRenderer(); delete(instance); 2a) will child renderer get deleted? 2b) if the child renderer also inherits another parent class, will this class be deleted as well? I'm in a confusion for interfaces.... help me please. Please advise. Thanks!

Advertisement
oh sorry,

I forgot to add a * for my example.

IMyInterface *interface = new CMyChildRenderer();

Thanks a lot!

Quote:
What happens if I do the above? Do I have to implement my parent class' interface as well?

Yes, you must create all the virtual methods at least once.

for example:

class Ione { virtual void method1() = 0; };
class Itwo : public Ione { virtual void method2() = 0; };

//now comes
class Ithree : public Itwo {

// here in order to allow instantiation of this object, you must provide both of the above
// virtual mehtods Ione::method1() and Itwo::method2(). if Ione::method1() already defined in Itwo then you do
// not need to re define it.

};

Quote:
2a) will child renderer get deleted?
2b) if the child renderer also inherits another parent class, will this class be deleted as well?

yes, Ione * p = new Itwo; delete p; will delete the full Itwo object correctly.
the same case is applied to Ione * p = new Ithree; ...

Hope this helps.

You don't have to derive CMyChildRenderer from IMyInterface because CMyParentRenderer is already derived from IMyInterface.

class IMyInterface
{
public :
virtual void renderObject(void) = 0;
virtual ~IMyInterface(void) {};
virtual void Shake(){};
}

class CMyParentRenderer : public IMyInterface
{
public :
virtual void renderObject(void);
}

now comes :

class CMyChildRenderer : public CMyParentRenderer
{
void renderObject(){ Shake(); } // Works
}

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!