• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Endar

Defining a pure virtual function

This topic is 4830 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I know that to define a pure virtual function you do this virtual void function() = 0; but, is it possible to declare a pure virtual function, and also define it for the base class? (although, that would probably stop it being pure virtual, technically) Basically, I want to know if I can define a function for the base class and also somehow let the compiler and user know that this same function also has to be defined for any derived classes, because they both will be used.

Advertisement
No you can't.

A method is either pure virtual ( must be defined in final interfaces ) or virtual ( could be redefined in final interfaces ) ...

I understand what you seek, the solution is to derive a class call base_ex for example and define the pure methods. and this way all derived classes of base will need to define the pure ones...

ps. of course derived classes can still not define pure virtual methods, but this will prevent instantiation.

Quote:
Original post by Dee God
No you can't.

A method is either pure virtual ( must be defined in final interfaces ) or virtual ( could be redefined in final interfaces ) ...

I understand what you seek, the solution is to derive a class call base_ex for example and define the pure methods. and this way all derived classes of base will need to define the pure ones...

ps. of course derived classes can still not define pure virtual methods, but this will prevent instantiation.

Heh, this use to get me in the past, its a complete myth! actually you can provide default implementation for a pure virtual member functions, it just means that sub-type musts override it but they can use the default imp if they wish e.g.:

#include <iostream>

struct foo {
virtual void do_bar() const = 0;
virtual ~foo() {}
};

void foo::do_bar() const { std::cout << "hello\n"; }

struct bar : foo { //bar must override foo::do_bar.
void do_bar() const { foo::do_bar(); }
};

int main() {

foo* foobar = new bar;
foobar->do_bar();
//...
delete foobar;

}

And good reasons for doing so.

(extending what snk_kid said, which is the answer to your question [smile])
not only can you define a pure virtual method, but if a destructor is made pure virtual then it must be defined.

struct foo {
virtual ~foo() =0;
};
will give you a linker error if you instantiate an object of a derived class. You need
foo::~foo() {};
somewhere as well.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!