Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

sinistrx

DropBlox feedback

sinistrx    122
Thought I''d post a topic for anyone who wants to give me some feedback here on my game so far. And yes I''m aware of the controller response part I''ve almost got it fixed. (: Enjoy!

ThomW    122
Nice job!

I''m really impressed with both the graphics and sound. All you need to work on is the control, and add some up front menus, etc. and yours may be my Tetris-clone of choice!

ThomW
www.LMNOpc.com

Shannara    122
I''d agree. Once you fix the controller response, it will be better. I tested it on a 3dfx and nvidia board and both worked. Gotta admit though, when I got busy looking at what was happening behind the game a bit too often.

later.

PrinceofZ    122
It doesnt work on my system, like some demos from the halloween contest

can someone help what i do wrong?

I get allways the can't create an opengl rendering context error

EDIT:
btw: i have a gateway system, 366 celeron, ATI(this should say everything) RAGE PRO TURBO AGP, 64 mb ram i think

Edited by - PrinceofZ on November 4, 2000 2:31:32 PM

sinistrx    122
As for your card I think that''s the problem, I''m not sure an Ati Rage Pro fully implements ogl (although I''ve seen some apps it does). As for everyone else thanks for the comments I''m working hard to try to get the keyboard routines going good and get menus added in. I had one suggestion in an email from a guy saying:

Sorry to say but your ''game'' is absolute crap!

1) The user input (by keyboard) sucks; after dropping a block quick the next one also falls, the timing is completely wrong.
2) There is nothing in the game that justifies the 3d OpenGL it only distracts from the game. Why not rotate the blocks in real 3d?
3) Where is the menu?

hope this helps,

I''m leaving out his name I don''t want it misconstrued into a bashing session or whatever I respect his opinion. But what do you think? Based on his reply number 1 and 3 are being worked on, but how about the 2nd? Should I change it up to 3d cubes falling instead of bitmaps? I wonder how that''d look. If anyone has some suggestions on ways I can change up the game to make it still good as tetris but not a direct clone so I don''t get sued (which will ultimately happen if I keep it going at its current rate) I''m all ears.

Bruno    155
Well.., as any opinion is just an opinion, and there are much nicer ways to tell what''s wrong with your game. Don''t listen to idiot mails like that
As for me, the keyboard is the major problem, i think that the ideia of a fancy background is great. It makes people want to play more, to see how it''s the next level.

As for the clone problem., you could do it with coulors, for example a quad it''s made of 4 little quads., you could put diferent coulors in this mini quads, and the lines would only disapear if the line besides being filled had all the same color., or you could change the format of the pieces..

hope it helps

Bruno

Bruno    155
i forgot
As for the tetris in 3d, i think the ideia sucks..
Have you seen blockout 3d ? It''s a tetris in 3d, and it sucks realtime., My opinion is that tetris is a game that was made to be in 2d. Of course, it''s just my opinion

Bruno

sinistrx    122
Keyboard problem is potentially fixed now, I figured out what was wrong, in fact here''s the straight up code for that segment:

if (keydelay > kdval) keydelay = kdval;
if ((keydelay % kdval == 0))
if (lastkey > 0) {
move(lastkey);
keydelay=0;
};

if((delay==(30-level))) {

move_skip --;
if (move_skip == 0) {

etc etc etc.. I figured out that the keydelay was going higher than kdval (I dunno how but it was) so by adding that first little line now it should respond 100% of the time, oh yeah for all the people distracted by the background I added in just now the + and - keys on the numeric pad can darken/lighten the background artwork if it becomes too distracting for you. As for blockout yeah that game sucks major ass I think the point he was trying to make (and yeah he could have been a little more professional about his comments, that''s not the way you make friends and influence people but I''ll take it for what it is) was having the actual blocks as cubes. Is this possible in Ortho view? Otherwise I''m going to have to recode everything in Perspective mode (which based on all my contrast/fades/text that''s going to be a bitch to do but it can be done). Your color idea sounds doable, but good god I think that might be impossible to score anything! I dunno I''ll have to test and see.

sinistrx    122
It''s older than 9 years man, I remember playing that when computers didn''t have hard drives. But yeah I don''t like blockout personally. It''s a little confusing compared to Tetris trying to line the pieces up.

ThomW    122
Just downloaded the most recent version of DB -- glad to see you fixed the keyboard problem! Hate to bother you with new stuff, but...

Here are a couple of suggestions:

1) I''m a fan of the instant drop button -- even if it''s animated, I like to be able to hit a button and have the block drop into place. I''m having problems playing the current version, because the block zooms down the board, doesn''t get all the way down (and because I''m so impatient) I hit the down button again, and the next piece is half-way down the screen.

2) The way that you''re rotating the blocks needs a little work -- I don''t think the pieces are being rotated from their centers, but from one of their edges. It makes placing the ''T'' blocks harder than it should be. To me it looks like the blocks are being rotated around their top-right corners.

3) I like it in some versions of the game where they have a transparent ''preview'' block that shows where your piece would end up if you dropped it immediately. I don''t know if you''ve ever seen this, and sorry if you haven''t -- I don''t know a better way to describe it!

Anyway -- good luck with your project!! Awesome job so far!
ThomW
www.LMNOpc.com

NeHe    379
I think the game is amazing. The first level didn''t thrill me, but once I completed a stage and the wicked background came on... WOW!!! Very cool. I agree with everyone post about the control however. It seems slugish, causing things to become very difficult once you get to level 6

How many background are there? I saw 2?

NeHe    379
P.S. The next tutorial has a fix for the ATI problem, and probably for other 3d cards as well. It should be out in a week or so. It''s done, but I have some more things I need to get done before I release it. Sinistrx if you want the code, let me know.

sinistrx    122
To answer everyone''s questions:

To Nehe: Yes, I need that source, I want my game to work for as many people as possible. And go download the game again from the site you''ll see some fixes I''ve done to make it better.

To Thom: You just gave me some damn good ideas man. I could probably add the space bar as the insta-drop key (I have a theory on how I''ll achieve this which will hopefully at the same time give the next solution) and add in a transparent blended shape of where the block will hit. As for the rotation, believe it or not it''s going from the center, it just looks odd on certain pieces because of the orientation of them (which I can probably tweak up to look more believable). In other words the "T" shaped piece in its array format looks like this:

So you can see that within the 4x4 array there''s really not a center point I could put it at (and I was just thinking if I did a 5x5 array then the 2x2 block would look off, guess you can''t win there). But for all intents and purposes it rotates from the center (2left,2down as the center point) unless your OpenGL implementation for your card is doing something funky I wish I didn''t have to know about. (: I could probably fix it but it would take individualized code through the whole game playing routines to handle each of the 7 types of blocks which will be a while.

Any good suggestions for some background 3d animations guys? I was thinking of a duck smoking a joint in front of a TV for one level, but that''s just me and my weird artsy thing. (:

aLi3n    122
Hey there,

I love this game, much better than any tetris I have ever played (yeah, I haven''t played many). There is really only one problem I see and that is the sensitivity of the controls. I think you should increase the delay because on the later levels, I get fast and a lot of times the block keeps spinning around. Or, you could make it so that the up key can only be pushed one time and then has to be pushed again so that this doesn''t happen. That was just some easy stuff I had to point out. What would be fairly cool would be a spinning version of the preview block.

About the background thing, it is 3d right? I didn''t think you could use an ortho and perspective view at the same time.

Anyway, nice game. I plan on making one in the near future also, it''ll probably be an asteroids-ish clone. More info at a later date.

aLi3n

sinistrx    122
Don''t download the one from this site download the one from my link (it''s in the post right before yours) I have added better keyboard control as well as other things:

keys (I didn''t have time to make a new readme)

up - rotate
down - move down fast
left - move left
right - move right
+ and - on numeric pad - brighten/darken 3d background
space - instant drop
p - pause

NeHe    379
The ATI fix is in lesson 29, the lesson just released. Look for code having to do with fullscreen mode.