DropBlox feedback

Started by
30 comments, last by sinistrx 23 years, 5 months ago
Thought I''d post a topic for anyone who wants to give me some feedback here on my game so far. And yes I''m aware of the controller response part I''ve almost got it fixed. (: Enjoy!
Advertisement
its nice

we wanna play, not watch the pictures

If that's not the help you're after then you're going to have to explain the problem better than what you have. - joanusdmentia

My Page davepermen.net | My Music on Bandcamp and on Soundcloud

Nice job!

I''m really impressed with both the graphics and sound. All you need to work on is the control, and add some up front menus, etc. and yours may be my Tetris-clone of choice!

ThomW
www.LMNOpc.com
I''d agree. Once you fix the controller response, it will be better. I tested it on a 3dfx and nvidia board and both worked. Gotta admit though, when I got busy looking at what was happening behind the game a bit too often.

later.
It doesnt work on my system, like some demos from the halloween contest

can someone help what i do wrong?

I get allways the can't create an opengl rendering context error

EDIT:
btw: i have a gateway system, 366 celeron, ATI(this should say everything) RAGE PRO TURBO AGP, 64 mb ram i think

Edited by - PrinceofZ on November 4, 2000 2:31:32 PM
u wouldnt understand a german quote :)
As for your card I think that''s the problem, I''m not sure an Ati Rage Pro fully implements ogl (although I''ve seen some apps it does). As for everyone else thanks for the comments I''m working hard to try to get the keyboard routines going good and get menus added in. I had one suggestion in an email from a guy saying:

Sorry to say but your ''game'' is absolute crap!

1) The user input (by keyboard) sucks; after dropping a block quick the next one also falls, the timing is completely wrong.
2) There is nothing in the game that justifies the 3d OpenGL it only distracts from the game. Why not rotate the blocks in real 3d?
3) Where is the menu?

hope this helps,

I''m leaving out his name I don''t want it misconstrued into a bashing session or whatever I respect his opinion. But what do you think? Based on his reply number 1 and 3 are being worked on, but how about the 2nd? Should I change it up to 3d cubes falling instead of bitmaps? I wonder how that''d look. If anyone has some suggestions on ways I can change up the game to make it still good as tetris but not a direct clone so I don''t get sued (which will ultimately happen if I keep it going at its current rate) I''m all ears.
where can i d/l DropBlox?

yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift... -TapRoot

AIM screen name: StarCraftIsEvil
Well.., as any opinion is just an opinion, and there are much nicer ways to tell what''s wrong with your game. Don''t listen to idiot mails like that
As for me, the keyboard is the major problem, i think that the ideia of a fancy background is great. It makes people want to play more, to see how it''s the next level.

As for the clone problem., you could do it with coulors, for example a quad it''s made of 4 little quads., you could put diferent coulors in this mini quads, and the lines would only disapear if the line besides being filled had all the same color., or you could change the format of the pieces..

hope it helps

Bruno
i forgot
As for the tetris in 3d, i think the ideia sucks..
Have you seen blockout 3d ? It''s a tetris in 3d, and it sucks realtime., My opinion is that tetris is a game that was made to be in 2d. Of course, it''s just my opinion

Bruno
Keyboard problem is potentially fixed now, I figured out what was wrong, in fact here''s the straight up code for that segment:

if (keydelay > kdval) keydelay = kdval;
if ((keydelay % kdval == 0))
if (lastkey > 0) {
move(lastkey);
keydelay=0;
};

if((delay==(30-level))) {

move_skip --;
if (move_skip == 0) {

etc etc etc.. I figured out that the keydelay was going higher than kdval (I dunno how but it was) so by adding that first little line now it should respond 100% of the time, oh yeah for all the people distracted by the background I added in just now the + and - keys on the numeric pad can darken/lighten the background artwork if it becomes too distracting for you. As for blockout yeah that game sucks major ass I think the point he was trying to make (and yeah he could have been a little more professional about his comments, that''s not the way you make friends and influence people but I''ll take it for what it is) was having the actual blocks as cubes. Is this possible in Ortho view? Otherwise I''m going to have to recode everything in Perspective mode (which based on all my contrast/fades/text that''s going to be a bitch to do but it can be done). Your color idea sounds doable, but good god I think that might be impossible to score anything! I dunno I''ll have to test and see.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement