• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

Good books ? Tips appreciated

This topic is 4743 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Does anyone know any good books to learn how to program games. I'm into SDL and I have the book "Focus on SDL". Its explaining the SDL but doesnt explain how to make games. Is there any books that explains how to make games with use of SDL and C++?

Advertisement
I have a copy of "game programming gems" which contains a good game programming introduction...

thats the only thing I've ever read about game development, also go here
http://www.gamedev.net/reference/start_here/

;)

Premier's OpenGL Game Programming is good. You can just skip the Win32 section and use SDL, giving you the added benefit of going cross-platform! If I have a criticism of the book it is only that you could learn a like amount (if not more) material from NeHe's site. I bought the book after learning OpenGL from NeHe (who is actually the editor of the book) and found it to be a good review of OpenGL, and can imagine it is a good way to learn the material, but I didn't pick much up from it that I hadn't already learend.

The moral of the story: check the gamedev and google before buying a book. It could save you some money.

If you're really looking for a book to start out with, I would recommend OpenGL Game Programming as a solid choice.

Good luck and welcome to the dark side.

EDIT:
Quote:

Is there any books that explains how to make games with use of SDL and C++?

I'm not sure what level of programmer you are, but if you're good enough to move beyond relying on a single language (which is to say you're beyond the novice level) and would like to work with SDL, check out Premier's Game Programming with Python, Lua, and Ruby. In fact, I would recommend doing this regardless of how experienced you are. Alot of people stick entirely to one programming language and are making their lives harder for it. Branch out and learn new languages. It'll probably make you a better C/C++ programmer too, if that's what's really important to you (for now). Anyway, I have only leafed through Game Programming with Python, Lua, and Ruby at a bookstore, but it looked really interesting and I know it uses SDL.

Well you could get "Beggining Game Programming" by Michael Morrison, it doesn't teach SDL, but it is a VERY good book in my opinion.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement