• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Agemaniac

Shore Line Foam Question

This topic is 4833 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, i have implemented FOAM in my engine, but got some trouble where the water hits the terrain. You can see what im talking about in the picture bellow: So, my question is, how can i hide this line from the player? I have saw that Far Cry, for example, still have this problem but much less visible than in my engine. Any tips? sorry about my poor english..!

Advertisement
I'm guessing that the water gets blended with the foam, creating that line where the terrain and water meet. You could try rendering the foam last (1. terrain, 2. water, 3. foam) or putting the foam above the water plane. I think the more correct choice would be the second one, as the foam is generated by the water and shouldn't be under the water plane. So this would mean that you have to split the foam polygons in two (the terrain part and the water part) or place the whole polygon over the water.

Im doing this...first draw terrain, then water, then foam, above the water level...the problem is that the water reflects the sky (or anything else) and its collor got to be too different from the terrain (causing the line problem). I saw in Far Cry that then try to correct some of that colloring (terrain) the meet bettween terrain-water with a collor that is like the reflection (i think). Another example, that i saw in this forum, was the ParadiseIsland. There i could'nt even saw the line. It hides it perfectly. I think it uses a more effective method then Far Cry. But im not sure what kind of tricks both are using.

here is the link for the ParadiseIsland explanation
http://www.gamedev.net/community/forums/topic.asp?topic_id=281637

Maybe try increasing the alpha of your foam? That should help hide the line, plus the foam looks too transparent to me.

If that doesn't work and you like how the water was done in that other thread, why not switch to that method? If I'm remembering correctly he goes over the whole thing step by step in pretty good detail (I don't feel like reading through it again), and if it's not clear enough you could try asking him some questions about it because he seemed willing to help when I first read it.

hi..and thanks..humm..increasing alpha doesnt seem to help....
im using the same method as described in the ParadiseIsland post. I have follow his algorithm :). I didnt got any mail, UIN or something like that to contact him..so, im asking here.

Haven't read the other thread.

Our implementation I believe applied the reflection to the foam segment over the terrain and applied a fade to the reflection so it fades from reflecting the sky into the foam. You already mentioned this idea, that's the best way to hide the artifact.

In some places you won't be able to use the foam at all due to the terrain shape as I'm sure you've noticed. We just fade out and shrink the foam mesh at these places.

"Our implementation I believe applied the reflection to the foam segment over the terrain and applied a fade to the reflection so it fades from reflecting the sky into the foam"

i dont know if i really understand what u mean...can u go into more details?

Quote:
Original post by Agemaniac
hi..and thanks..humm..increasing alpha doesnt seem to help....
im using the same method as described in the ParadiseIsland post. I have follow his algorithm :). I didnt got any mail, UIN or something like that to contact him..so, im asking here.

Ah okay, nevermind then.

I don't see any contact information in his profile, either. I suppose you could try to PM him, but I'm not sure how often he visits here, or if he even checks his PMs. It's at least worth a shot.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!