rts terrain

Started by
3 comments, last by SquareDanceSteve 19 years, 1 month ago
Hi My game is now in 3d, so I need to update my terrain. What I need to do is a system (or use an existing open-source system) which can render the ground for me. I need not those airplane-simulation looking things. More basic tilebased stuff, maybe blending textures to smooth edges between different terrain-types. And forests and stuff: Does it eat my CPU to just draw tree-models on all forest-tiles? It sounds as it should... I need some help with this. All unit-behaviour and stuff are coded for a tilebased-world, so that might be a good thing, but not neseccary. What can I do? What project can I look at? Thanks, Erik
Advertisement
I can help you with terrain if you are interested

my AIM:
FlexibleMorality
-----------------www.stevemata.com
Quote:Original post by suliman
And forests and stuff: Does it eat my CPU to just draw tree-models on all forest-tiles? It sounds as it should...

A trivial implementation of vegetation rendering can easily kill all but a super-computer, but it is very possible to render an organic looking vegetation layer and maintain modest hardware requirements.

Various forms of LOD algorithms, sprites/imposters and batched rendering are what you need to be looking into. This page might be of interest.

hth
Jack

<hr align="left" width="25%" />
Jack Hoxley <small>[</small><small> Forum FAQ | Revised FAQ | MVP Profile | Developer Journal ]</small>

SD-steve Im very intereted in any help you can provide. I dont have AIM, i guss its a program like ICQ (which i dont use either).

Where do I start? Do you have any code or know of any that might get me started, or maybe there's a engine that people think is usable? It seemes stupid for me to build all from scratch, seing that Im not very skilled in this field. I use the irrlicht engine for 3d-drawing, but as stated, Im clueless when it comes to terrain.

My old system was just 2d-drawing squares in a warcraft 1 style. I can probably reuse much of the old code, but whn it coms to drawing, its a bit boring...

Zooming and tilting camera isn't my major aim here, but if all units are 3d-meches, then it might be wise to incoperate the drawing of the ground into that world...

JollyJeffers thans for the link, but that seemes like not really the right courner to start in. I dont even have basic terrain.
squaredancesteve@comcast.net
-----------------www.stevemata.com

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement