Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Zantac

D3D rendering problem

Hello! I''ve got a problem when rendering in direct3d. I''m using DrawIndexedPrimitiveVB without the D3DDP_WAIT flag. This means that the function returns immediately, and the polys are placed in a queue to be rendered. My game loop is faster than my card can render the frames, so because of this queue, a couple of frames will be pending rendering. This also means that any input (such as mouse movements or keyboard input) will not be shown until after a couple of frames, or, in my case as much as half a second later. This sucks, because it''s like playing with a huge amount of lag. My question is: is there any way to flush this queue, or check if the hardware is still rendering so i can wait for it to finish(or any other way to solve this problem)? I don''t want to use the D3DDP_WAIT flag, because then the card will only render in the render loop (i want it to work while i''m doing AI and physics and stuff so i can maximize performance). I''ve tried the GetFlipStatus(), to wait manually, but i couldn''t get it to work. (maybe i''m not doing it properly, or i shouldn''t use it at all... ? ) Please help! Thanks in advance, /Simon

Hi again!

Thanks for the help... but it turns out that wasn''t the problem It seems the lag only appears when i''ve got antialiasing turned on (i''ve got a geforce2 mx).. the more FSAA, the more lag... however, the lag disappears if i draw the fps counter (using GDI TextOut() ).. (still FSAA turned on). I''m really confused !! Anyone had this problem before??

Please help (again )

Thanks,
Simon

There is no official way to flush the queue. A D3D driver is only supposed to buffer 1.5 frames ahead, but most do more (it helps on 3D benchmarks.)

You can usually force a flush by locking the back buffer. GetDC() does do a lock, so your GDI printing is causing a flush.