• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Braden

OpenGL How to create a panoramic effect?

This topic is 4919 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I am trying to create a totally panoramic effect in OpenGL. I know that there seems to be two ways to do it. One is via a cylender(sp) map and the other is via a sphere map. Which way is better? Also, how would you use lightwave to create the image so that when you wrap it around the cylender/spehere it is not distorted? I want to use a targa image to do this since thats what I know how to import into OpenGL. Thanks! Braden

Advertisement
Well yes, using the projection matrix would project the image, but its not as simple as that. Don't I have to distort the image somehow?

Hi,

Actually i'd say there are 3 methods for doing this, cubemap, cylinderical map and sphere map. Each has advantages and disadvantages over the others, these come down to mainly

1. File size - Cubemaps are generally the most expensive, then spheremaps and finally cylinderical maps.

2. Resolution - Cubemaps need to be pretty big to get anything like a 1:1 ratio of texel/pixel, cylinderical maps are proberbly the best. There is some formula for calculating the most appropraite size cubemap (face) for a specific screen resolution, but i don't remember off hand.

Personally i'd go with cubemaps if possible, with cylindrerical being the next best option, but it really depends upon your needs and target base spec.

To convert between these various formats you could try HDR SHop ignore the 'high dynamic range' bits just check out the panoramic remapping stuff.

i agree.
the best option is to use a cube.
but the tricky part is getting the image to fit nicely on it
without distorting the perspective, and without making the seams obvious.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!