• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
FlowingOoze

Vertex arrays slower than direct glVertex ?

This topic is 4919 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I've got an ATI 9800 Pro. I'm rendering about 40000 quads with no texture and just basic lighting. The frame rate is pretty slow if I render them using vertex arrays and glDrawElements(). If I use a for-loop and call glNormal and glVertex functions in it, it's oddly much faster. (If I use a vertex object it's much faster than either, as it should be.) Any ideas why? Are ATI's drivers just crappy or am I missing something?

Advertisement
Vertex arrays should be faster if you are reusing any vertices. They're only transformed once, and require less memory (thus requiring less bus bandwidth).

Feel free to correct if I'm wrong on this one.

*EDIT: forgot the word "and."*

Here's the whole thing:

#if 0
glVertexPointer(3,GL_FLOAT,sizeof(Vertex),vertex[0].v.ptr());
glNormalPointer(GL_FLOAT,sizeof(Vertex),vertex[0].n.ptr());
glEnableClientState(GL_VERTEX_ARRAY);
glEnableClientState(GL_NORMAL_ARRAY);
glDrawElements(GL_QUADS,count,GL_UNSIGNED_INT,index);
glDisableClientState(GL_VERTEX_ARRAY);
glDisableClientState(GL_NORMAL_ARRAY);
#else
glBegin(GL_QUADS);
for(int i=0;i<count;i++) {
glNormal3fv(vertex[index].n.ptr());
glVertex3fv(vertex[index].v.ptr());
};
glEnd();
#endif

I'm rendering 65025 quads so count=260100. That's quite a few calls to glVertex3f and glNormal3f, and it's still faster.
Also it's a regular grid mesh. So each vertex is shared by four neighbouring quads.

that'll be your problem then, cards dont tend to react well to that many verts in one batch, really you want to keep your index count below around 65K (or an unsigned byte).
So the copying of the data, plus the massive index count is causing you to fall off the fast path when using the VAs.

Ok.

I've replaced the call to glDrawElements with:

int step=3000;
for(int i=0;i<count;i+=step)
glDrawElements(GL_QUADS,min(count-i,step),GL_UNSIGNED_INT,index+i);

It's running much better.
But if i set the step size bigger, to say 4000 it's running pretty slow again.
I can always test to see whats the best value for my system, but how would I know what kind of values would run well on other people's hardware?
Seems kind of strange that the opengl drivers can split large amount to smaller ones on their own.

Well, as people have all ready said, splitting up the data set would help significantly. Also, pass unsigned shorts to glDrawElements (it's preferred type) rather than integers.

The whole thing is just a proto, so I'll be cutting down on the sizes later. I was just wondering why something so simple isn't handled better by the library. I mean if I want to render all of that stuff, then why can't I make the API calls to do it at once and have the library figure out how to pass it to the hardware efficiently.

python: Using shorts sounds like a good idea. I hadn't though about that. I'll remember to do that, when I'll have less than 64k vertices per batch. Should cut the copying overhead by half at no cost implementation- or otherwise.

Quote:
Original post by FlowingOoze
python: Using shorts sounds like a good idea. I hadn't though about that. I'll remember to do that, when I'll have less than 64k vertices per batch. Should cut the copying overhead by half at no cost implementation- or otherwise.

If you have more than 64K vertices per batch, then you should split the batch up.

u can query how many max are recommended

glGetIntegerv( GL_MAX_ELEMENTS_INDICES, &max_elements_indices );
glGetIntegerv( GL_MAX_ELEMENTS_VERTICES, &max_elements_vertices );

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!