• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

CDMA: BREW vs J2ME

This topic is 4828 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello! I'm from the GSM world, Germany, to be precise. And I just heard that on CDMA handsets, BREW is more prominent than J2ME/MIDP. Is that true? What are the trends? Would you say BREW is better/faster/less chaotic (as in: isn't bogged down by hundreds of implementation differences, bugs, proprietary crap) than J2ME? Would you say that BREW has a brighter future than J2ME?

Advertisement
BREW is more prevalent in CDMA handsets. The main reason for this is that the company that developed BREW is the biggest supplier of CDMA chipsets in the world.

Is it any better of faster? I couldn't tell you for sure. The older generations of BREW phones performed on par with the decent J2ME phones of that time. I haven't kept up so I don't know if that is still the case with the newer devices. And device specific bugs still abound, although maybe not as bad as J2ME (that's to be expected since the platform is controlled by one body that is also strongly linked to the hardware that runs it, instead of a community). They are a bit less sandboxed than J2ME too (you have more access to lower level functionality). And there is the whole closed provisioning and application delivery that makes piracy a much lesser issue.

BREW is very popular in the US, but there are BREW devices on many other territories (South America, the Middle East, Asian countries).

shmoove

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!