Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mansion

graphics modes how in win32(not DX, OG)

Mansion    122
in ms-dos if you want to get in 320x200 ppl used int 10h and for higher resolution ppl used bank switching(VESA), how is this done internally in directx...when we call SetDisplayMode what does really happen? and how can i program 3d graphics adapter if i dont use Directx or Opengl...can i, i mean how can i ''talk'' with drivers for adapter? thank you for the answers

baskuenen    124
I can remember using a linear frame buffer in DOS. It''s a pmode VESA 2.0+ thing. With this pointer you can address a huge linear! video mem block like say 4MB for a 1024x768x32bit screen

Talking to drivers isn''t easy. I don''t have a clue how to do this. Why dont you want to use DirectDraw for this?
If you want to use DOS, I can suggest the linear frame buffer...

Mansion    122
i use directx but i just want to expand my knowledge...if i use for an example fopen() probably function is ''talking'' with driver and then with what the driver is talking?maybe controller?how can i talk with controller? you see i just wanna expand my knowledge10x for the answer though

chr1701    122
Hi Mansion,

i don''t think there''s a way to interact with the driver directly, since the driver is encapsulated in the DirectX DLLs.
So you could say that DirectX IS the driver.

Chris