New Programming Faith.

Started by
15 comments, last by paulecoyote 19 years, 1 month ago
I have the first edition of GPAIONE. I ruined it though, because it was another example of trying to run before I could walk. I still have the RPG book to look forward too, even if the DirectX 8.1 is outdated. Being a hobbyist programmer though, I don't suppose it really makes a difference, especially as a lot of the features in DX9 I won't be using for a looooong time.
Advertisement
C++ isn't the ONLY language out there capable of making hobbist games, and it's very easily to do C++ very badly (but still getting stuff working) without knowing it.

But props for perservering with C++, just don't be elitist like some other morons around here... be open to others whom choose different languages. For example some of the most addictive fun freebie games (eg that Yeti olympics series) are done with flash & director.
Anything posted is personal opinion which does not in anyway reflect or represent my employer. Any code and opinion is expressed “as is” and used at your own risk – it does not constitute a legal relationship of any kind.
i understand this, but it's the one I started off with, and I see no reason to change at such a late stage.
Quote:Original post by deadimp
For me, instead of just getting a Game Programming book for C++, I had gotten a book for just beginner's C++ (I do have Game Programming All in One, just have never gotten 'round to reading it). Previously, the only tool I could actually use for game development was, well, Game Maker. I had stayed with Game Maker for about 3 to 4 years, gradually learning what all was going on and learning the some of the basics of game programming. After I had successfully learned C++ (on the 4th try in those 4 years), I implemented the some of the game concepts from Game Maker, such as indexing objects (or using linked lists) and other resources, using views (and how to calculate drawing positions accordingly), etc. What I'm trying to do right now is to make a little engine similar to GM, and so far its been a semi-success.
For those of you who are uber-noob beginners in compter programming, and reading the Game Programming books doesn't work, I would suggest that you learn the basics to game programming using GM (or something of the sort), and then, once you're comfortable with it, switch over to C++, which isn't hard since part of GM's syntax is based on C++.

I've messed around the the Game Maker a little bit, never used it to make something tho, but I do believe it would be excellent to learn the concepts of OOP, as everything is represented as an object (be it a sprite, sound, music, background, or actual game entity). I think experimenting around with the program for a month or so could be an excellent way to get that first grasp on the object-oriented design paradigms. Then, you could take what you learned from that, and translate it into actual code (in whatever language you please, as long as it supports OOP).

It might even be cool if someone wrote an article for beginning programmers about OOP and used Game Maker as a tool for demonstration :)
I don't know if I'm late with throwing in my two cents, but I definately have to agree with the tip on using Game Maker... well, I don't really know about using it now; when I had been using it, it had been completely free, and the community was awesome. But nonetheless, it is an awesome program to start on. Especially for hobbyists. It's incredibly easy to use, and can be really, really rewarding when you create things using the scripting language. I had started using GM before switching to 3D Game Studio and then more C++. I definately say it's a good place to start.
And with my Greatness hidden, all the world will weap at the beauty of my rebirth.
Quote:Original post by Fantasy
i understand this, but it's the one I started off with, and I see no reason to change at such a late stage.
Late stage? If you're worth half of your salt you'll have tested other waters long before you can consider yourself at a late stage.
sorry, wasn't saying to swap languages! Just saying that C++ isn't the only tool that can accomplish a job... some C++ heads get so snobby about using C++. I've used C++ to develop a Gina myself (amongst other things), but sometimes other languages can do the same job with less effort. In the case of the Gina, it was really only C or C++ I could use. Heck even avoided MFC for that one.
Anything posted is personal opinion which does not in anyway reflect or represent my employer. Any code and opinion is expressed “as is” and used at your own risk – it does not constitute a legal relationship of any kind.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement