Stereo: just curious

Started by
5 comments, last by DeltaVee 23 years, 5 months ago
Is there a card out there that supports Stereo glasses? Diamond Stealth used to support them, but a big sucking noise was herd when someone pulled the chain on them (or at least the retail side). I''m building an engine (of sorts) and I can''t even test the stereo viewing, so I was wondering, ''Why bother?'' Ta'' in advance D.V. D.V. -------------------------- Carpe Diem
D.V.Carpe Diem
Advertisement
What are Stereo glasses? I have never heard of them. What do they do?
Stereo glasses create the illusion of true three dimensionality by rendering two seperate images (one for each eye).
Each binocular creature can see three dimensional by analyzing the difference between the images seen by the left and right eye (Try grabbing something with only one eye open).
On a normal monitor, there is only one image which is identical for both eyes, thus the image seems to be ''flat''.
Stereo glasses use different techniques to render an image for each eye.
The cheaper variant is to have glasses where the single ''windows'' can be made transparant sperately. Example: The ''window'' for the right eye is transparent. The computer now displays the image of the current scene how the right eye would see it. Now the whole process switches. Instead of the right window, the left one is transparent and the computer renders an image for the left eye. This switches each frame. Due to that the fps is halfed using this technique.
Another technique is having two little LCD monitors very closely in front of the eyes. Each one showing the image for the according eye. This technique is mainly used by virtual reality helmets.
Basically, stereo glasses make you see different images with each eye.
I probably made it more complicated than it is but I guess you got the point.

BTW: I''d really one of these VR helmets. Does anyone know how expensive they are and where to get them?

"Mr Sandman bring me a dream"
-----------------------------"Mr Sandman bring me a dream"
I have a pair of ELSA Revelator Stereoscopic Glasses, you dont need a special graphics card for them, there designed for all GFX cards, u get a wire in the package which extends the monitor output to support an infra red transmitter for the glasses, and thats it, as the glasses get there output from the montior out. They are REALLY cool though, games need ajusting for them but when u get it just right things will start comming out of the screen at u and it give the illusion of that u could just stick your hand into your monitor and grab something.

Oh, and good description Mr Sandman, and u seem to know alot about them.

But u can now also get a monitor which does the stereo effect just as good as the glasses. It spilts up the two video signals into separate columns and redirects the lightbeams to the correct eyes, where there is a sensor on the top which can detect where your eyes are. Pretty clever.

Oh and there either in the process of making a new VR headset or they have, ive forgotten its name and it comes to a sum of £999.
Ill stick with the StereoGlasses.

What i can''t wait for is the Motionware headset which places two controllers above your ears and takes over your balance system, so that games and applications can use it for a better experience. Imagine a flight simulator, and doing 360Deg rolls which one of those headsets on :-)

Ta
Martin W
Well, I don''t really know much about VR Systems. I searched the internet once ''cuz I REALLY WANNA GET ONE OF THOSE BABYS! The problem is that they are waaaayy to expensive for me, so either I become rich quickly or I can keep on dreaming.
I like especially the systems where you have this helmet with integrated surround sound speakers and some kind of compas which is used to get the position of your head so that you can actually look around in the came (move the ''camera'' by head movement).
BTW: I found a used two-year-old Forte VFX-1 system for 305.5$ (US)
A little dated but it has all the major features (and I don''t have no money).

"Mr Sandman bring me a dream"
-----------------------------"Mr Sandman bring me a dream"
I heard those things mess up your eyes. Remember the Virtual Boy? That was a flop.

-e
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." - Albert Einstein
The Asus Deluxe model Geforce line of cards come with a set of glasses...

---------------------------Hello, and Welcome to some arbitrary temporal location in the space-time continuum.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement