• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

Is it safe to store a resource ID in a file?

This topic is 4737 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I'm not to familiar with the resource editor, but I was wondering if it's safe to store the resource ids (the actual values) in a file. I have a map editor and I'm basically using the resource ids as the individual graphic ids. So when I create an entity in the map, I tell it what state machine to use, what sprite (graphic and graphic id), etc. If the values ever change because the resource editor decided it'd be fun to reshuffle the ids, then that'd be horribly bad for me. I just want to make sure it's safe before I do something stupid. :)

Advertisement
Er, which resource and map editors would these be? If you are writing your own stuff, then it is safe as long as (a) you are writing a real ID value and not a pointer value (memory address) and (b) you have proper documentation of your file format such that you can figure out how to fix things in the file if you change them elsewhere.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement