Writing a script engine

Started by
3 comments, last by Peon 23 years, 5 months ago
I was kinda curious as to how about I would go about writing a scripting system, especially for a RPG. I''m not advanced to write a game that uses script, but I''ve been curious ever since I heard of the concept. I looked at a recent article on Gamedev and it pretty said how I thought a script would be used, but in VB. An important function was called "CallByName()" or something, which let you call a function with a string. So after all this, I have two questions: - Is there a way to call a function using a string in C++? - Is there a good site where I can learn about scripts, specifically RPGs in C++? Alright, thanks in advance Peon
Peon
Advertisement
Just noticed there were some other topics on the same subject, but just to clarify, I''d rather learn to do my own scripting than use Python (actually, I''m not familliar with Python, but I''d rather learn the hard way )

Basically, I want to use this system to write text, make characters move, triggers (similar to SC, probably not so...good ), etc...
Peon
Starcraft is, IMO, the most addictive and evil games to date.

yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift... -TapRoot

AIM screen name: StarCraftIsEvil
As I mentioned in the post you referred to even if you don''t use Python the site is a good referance on how to build one yourself. Another source is
Keys to success: Ability, ambition and opportunity.
Not sure what happened to the links. One more try, otherwise "Writing Compilers and Interpreters by Ronald Mask".

Writing Compilers and Interpreters by Ronald Mask

Keys to success: Ability, ambition and opportunity.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement