• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

Question about D3DRS_DITHERENABLE

This topic is 4740 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

To clear a image, I set RenderState and keeping the D3DRS_DITHERENABLE is true. But there is no effect to the image. Please tell me why ?

Advertisement
What are you asking, clearing an image, has got what to do with dither?

Dither allows you to "smooth" out when there are few colors available... such as in 16bit mode... should be hardly visible though even there... perhaps with flat surfaces or with smoke/additive textures you might start seeing stuff.

Dithering is as I said commonly used for 8bit and some for 16bit, because you want to make things look smoother than it is possible for those modes... to do that you change surrounding pixels etc and draw different colors but drawing patterns of other colors, lets say you have only white and black, and you want grey, it will have a pattern for grey which will try to make it look like grey.

I think there is a little overhead GPU-usage for doing this, and generally I don't know if it is even necessary. And in my opinion doesn't look very good in all scenarios.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement