The Programming Paradigm

Started by
23 comments, last by bishop_pass 23 years, 5 months ago
The original idea sounds interesting, but is it possible? It would be great if computers were like brains, but as far as I''m aware, they''re only superficially similar, in that they store information, and communicate with the outside world. A computer (as is currently available) has no understanding of anything. It''s just a big, powerful, calculator.

So, if you have a paradigm that says ''tell the computer'' something, you need a lot of underlying stuff to make it understand anything. Possible? Maybe, but I don''t think so. By all means prove me wrong, but I''ll keep on telling my PC what to do in small sequential steps; it''d only get ''confused'', otherwise.

Dave
Advertisement
quote:Original post by Heraldin

So, if you have a paradigm that says ''tell the computer'' something, you need a lot of underlying stuff to make it understand anything . Possible? Maybe, but I don''t think so. By all means prove me wrong, but I''ll keep on telling my PC what to do in small sequential steps; it''d only get ''confused'', otherwise.

You need to look into cognitive modeling languages, predicate calculus, situation calculus, first order logic, resolution theory, symbolic reasoning, cycl, production systems, knowledgebase development, and ontologies.

Everything above is about telling the computer what it needs to know, beginning with the notion that the computer knows nothing to begin with.

I think if we move away from this abstract discusion and give a solid example, the discusion would be better.

=======================================
Better to reign in hell than serve in heaven.
John Milton, Paradise Lost
AI seems like one of the most interesting computer fields out there. There are many divisions of what the AI is used for, but I think that in it''s purest form it is trying to create a copy of ourselves. So, then we have to ask ourselves, what makes us human? What is it exactly that gives us a consciousness, an awareness. Computers do not have an awareness of their surroundings. They are simple electrons travelling along wires as the result of the opening and closing of circuits. I think all that needs to be done (as if it''s easy) is to give the computer an existence, a consciousness of it''s own. Granted, this is quite probably impossible, but we will continue trying. Once we have a consciousness though things like teaching it how to program are easy.

I agree with the theorists who say that the algorithm for consciousness will boil down into something really simple, like a = 5b or something weird like that. Of course it''s all completely theoretical, so everyone can think whatever they please, but it''s still interesting.

Sidenote: Computers are based on binary coding, two volatage levels. Wouldn''t it be neat to design a computer based on 10 or even 16 different volatage levels? It would change things considerably. I think this would be an efficient way to store and send data faster.

Come on, flame me, I dare ya...

chaos1111@hotmail.com

"When i was a child I caught a fleeting glimpse, out ofthe corner of my mind. I turned to look, but it was gone, I cannot put my finger on it now. The child hasgrown, the dream has gone." -Pink Floyd
If you are looking for a super-Eliza, check out Neuromedia.com and talk to Nicole (formerly known as Red). It very rarely makes a mistake... almost like talking to a real person.

--------------------

You are not a real programmer until you end all your sentences with semicolons; (c) 2000 ROAD Programming

You are unique. Just like everybody else.

Yanroy@usa.com

Visit the ROAD Programming Website for more programming help.

--------------------

You are not a real programmer until you end all your sentences with semicolons; (c) 2000 ROAD Programming
You are unique. Just like everybody else.
"Mechanical engineers design weapons; civil engineers design targets."
"Sensitivity is adjustable, so you can set it to detect elephants and other small creatures." -- Product Description for a vibration sensor

Yanroy@usa.com

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement