• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
markhod

glOrtho / glFrustum scale

This topic is 5012 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi all, I have an orthographic view set up such that one unit of movement in object space is equal to moving one pixel on the screen. I need this kind of mapping extended to a perspective view. Is there a way of using glFrustum to set up a perspective view using a similar scale as I was using with glOrtho(0, 720, 0, 576, 576, -576) ? i.e. on the xy plane (where z = 0) moving one unit across in object space would be the same as moving one pixel across the screen. Cheers

Advertisement
A 1:1 mapping between vertex coordinates and pixel coordinates doesn't make much sense in perspective projection. Sure you can create a perspective matrix where, on a certain Z-plane, you have a 1:1 mapping, but will the coordinates on any other Z-plane make any sense? What, exactly, are you trying to achieve? If you give us your goal we might be able to give you a better general answer instead of being restricted to a certain way of achieving the goal.

But to answer the question you asked, the following is equivalent to the glOrtho-code you posted, assuming you're drawing on the Z=0 plane only. On any other plane, by the perspective property, you will not have a 1:1 mapping anymore.

glFrustum(0, 720, 0, 576, 1, 2);
glTranslatef(0, 0, -1);

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!