• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
nickwinters

Getting FPS beyond the monitor's limit

This topic is 4977 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

My fps is currently capped at my monitor's max rate, 60hz. Is there a way to disable synchronization between the video card and the monitor for higher speeds? I'm aware this is bad for the monitor, but it is necessary right now. Thanks. -Nick

Advertisement
I'm not aware that this is bad for the montitor. You're monitor will continue to refresh at the same rate, regardless of when the video card updates the framebuffer.

Disabling vsync won't improve visual quality, however. It may even degrade it as your applicationw will be subject to "tearing" artifacts.

No it isn't bad for the monitor, but you should keep it diabled when not benchmarking. Running an application without vsync can cause the tearing effect.

Getting rid of tearing is all good and all, but don't force vsync to be on. I really hate when games force a setting on, especially vsync (I really hate vsync).

Here's why I hate vsync so much...

It doesn't just cap your framerate to your refresh rate. It waits until the moniter is ready to update the screen again. Say you had a refresh rate of 60Hz and your program is flying along and could be getting 100+ fps. Now you walk into a room with lots of stuff going on (particles everywhere, 1000 big-baddies, etc) so that your framerate would drop to 59fps. You will NOT get 59fps. Since you just missed rendering at the right time, you have to wait for the rest of the time it takes for the moniter to be ready to refresh, so you will get 30fps.(!!) Now if you reach another part where it would drop below 30fps, you would be getting 15fps. So if you miss the refresh time, you will halve your fps.

What I do in games is always set my graphics settings as high as possible until my framerate is around 60-90fps. If everything's as high as possible and it's still rendering fast, I increase the resolution. So if vsync was on and with fps fluctuations (sometimes below 40fps) my framerate would be jumping around between 85, 42, and 21 fps (with a 85Hz refresh rate). That's unacceptable to me, and I've never noticed tearing so bad that I would risk 21 fps just to avoid it for the short time it's visible (if it even is).

So to make a long story short (which you've already read), make vsync an option. If the user wants it forced on, they should set it like that in their video drivers.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!