• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Turt99

Isometric Zelda

This topic is 4916 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

One of my goals when I started working on games was to make a remake of Zelda in some way, not I don't plan to just copy the graphics and make it exactly the same (many remakes and emulators are already out there) I was thinking that I could change the game by using my own graphics, I could make the game into an isometric view (instead of that half top view) but what I would do is use the same maps and puzzles (atleast to start, once that was there I could make a level editor or something to create my own maps) Does this sound at all interesting? Do you think it would translate well? Now if I where to start this project which Zelda do you think I should "remake"? There has been alot of Zeldas, at first I would think to start at the beginning, but then I think that it might be better to go for the SNES version or any of the version that where created for the gameboy, since I will be doing this in 2D I don't think the n64 or gamecube version would translate very well. Would you simply create the game using the same view or would you try the isometric approach? and Finally is this a game you would want to play with a gamepad or would you want to control Link with the keyboard, I would imagine that it would eventually become both, but if I start with gamepad it would probably end up smoother for that input. Well thanks for taking the time to read this, its something I've has on my mind for a while and I've always wrestled with wether or not I should just jump into a project like this

Advertisement
I would start maybe with the NES first version as it is less complex. The isometric idea is fine, but IMO the isometric view may not be good for fast action. For slower diablo type action it works, but I think for zelda it would be better either 2d or 3d. Many probably disagree with me though. Either way, I always liked the zelda series so the game should be fun. I'd say make it for both gamepad and keyboard as a user option.

Thanks for the response, I don't know if the ISO look would really make the game that much different, I'm not going to change the controls at all, the gameplay should be more or less the same, the only difference is that instead of the tiles being squares, they will be dimonds. I'm not totally convinced that this is really a good approach to Zelda, it might make it a little harder to see the map (definitly make make it a little odd to have a door, on the wall thats on the front of the map).

I'm still curious to see what others think, I'm looking to start a project that might interest a few other people besides myself, Turt's Puzzle Blocks was a great game to learn on, and it has let me setup many important things like a Resource Manager that will definitly be used in my future projects.

For now when I have time, I think I'm going to continue my little current project that will be to take my tiny ISO system I have and make a Sokoban game, its almost there just needs a major clean up and a map loader.

After that I think I will finally start a major project that could very well be a Zelda type game.

The Zelda series has been a great set of games all in all. In fact if I look back on it they have all been innovative and influential in other games. That being said you are in for some work no matter which game you decide to model yours after. One comforting thing you should remember though is that they have all (not sure about windwaker, no gamecube yet :( ) been consistent in the style of play since the beginning (well 2 was a little off from the rest). Link has had sword, shield, bombs, and boomerang in all of them. He hacks, slashes and gains hearts for life all the while amassing gems for money and searching for princess Zelda. The option to search for stronger weapons and powerups is a mainstay for the series as this provides the replay value if you beat the game but know there is more stuff to find. The main point here is that I don't think the style the map is drawn will make much difference as long as these are all parts of the game. Besides, if you can make your own levels, you can also create your own storyline and produce game after game from the same engine. Think expansion pack :) Anyway, good luck and best wishes if you decide to go through with it.

What I think would be good is sort of what EDI is doing. Return to the classic genre in a sense. Basically, instead of converting Zelda into your engine, perhaps design a game very much with the same feel and concept of Zelda, with very little changed from that winning formula.

Make your own story and worlds, but stick with the same feel. I think that'd be a great project.

Link to the Past for the Snes was and still is the most influential game ever designed. It spawned so many copy cats similar to Tolkiens Lord of the Rings Trilogy.
An Isometric version of this would be most welcome from Zelda fans which must run into millions. My advice is go ahead and do it. This is a big challenge though.

Some Resources:
Zelda Sprites> www.purezc.com/index.php
Zelda Forum and Resources > teamanti.starsushi.net/forum/index.php
Help Creating your Isometric Tiles the World Creator > www.inet2inet.com

Great idea. You would make many happy Zelda Fans.

There are a lot of Zelda makes out on the web, I myself created a Zelda prototype and came over quite a lot of different variations on the idea. I did see a couple of isometric ones, and some of them looked very interesting, and did seem to translate very well.

Google is of course your friend on this one, but it would be worth a look. Along with the isometric versions, there are others that might give you some good ideas too :)

Spree

Thanks for all the reply's everyone.

Activ8: Thanks for the the links, I've seen a few of those links before, but those should be a great help

evillive2: I agree that I will need to keep that same feel, very few items with distinct properties and uses for each, 1 item is found in each level and in most cases that item is needed to complete that level, be it to get to the boss, or to defeat them.

Everytime I think of trying an ISO Zelda, I think about how I'm going to create all the graphics that will be needed in such a game, This probably shouldn't really be what I make my decision based on but it seems to be an issue that always comes up. I really don't like working on something that looks really crappy, I know I could just use crappy programmer art and then just look for help when I get close to a finsihed game but I seem to always get myself stuck.

Anyways, Hopefully I be able to work on something soon, I know I'll be making something similar to Zelda, I just don't know how similar and what version I will base it on (I'm thinking NES original, or SNES)

Hi!

Here a great zelda fan game forum: http://www.zfgc.com/forum/index.php
I think I once saw a iso zelda there... :p

Good luck with your own! :)

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!