A Single Player MMRPG

Started by
20 comments, last by RolandofGilead 19 years, 1 month ago
link
Advertisement
Sweet cup and cakes! Argh... noooo... not... Not ANIME!!! :S

Ok, having taken a good look at .HACK i can, quite gladly say... it will be ab-so-lute-ly nothing like .HACK!

There will be no: "Book of Twilight" or "Battle Mode / Play Mode" or any other kinds of weirdness.

Ok - first and most obvious difference... Its going to be in space. Second, it seems as those in .HACK the 'Single Player/MMORPG' is more of a story concept, where as my game aims to combine the best parts of a mmorpg (crafting system, massive universe, infinite replayability etc) into a single player game.

So sorry, nothing like .HACK - that looks weird!
SynexCode Monkey
Quote:Original post by Pipo DeClown
I'm totally convinced this is the gameplay of .HACK!

.hack doesn't appear to even take place in outer space nor does it seem to involve trade. I fail to see the comparison. As for the MMORPG comparison, .hack is a game _about_ an MMORPG where synex's game is meant to be _like_ an MMORPG.
Quit screwin' around! - Brock Samson
Quote:Original post by coderx75
Quote:Original post by Pipo DeClown
I'm totally convinced this is the gameplay of .HACK!

.hack doesn't appear to even take place in outer space nor does it seem to involve trade. I fail to see the comparison. As for the MMORPG comparison, .hack is a game _about_ an MMORPG where synex's game is meant to be _like_ an MMORPG.

Well, thats the theory at least.. we'll see how it goes :)
SynexCode Monkey
Quote:Original post by Synex
The economy will be fairly simple to start with - mainly buy/sell like Elite

Hehe, Elite was the first thing that I thought of when I read your idea. I started playing that game when it came out back in '85. I still play it sometimes to this day (Apple emulator).

I dig the galaxy generation idea but the unpopulated planets sound a little boring, to be honest. The high EMP planets sound quite frustrating. Does the player know beforehand what he is in for before setting out on the journey? Don't get me wrong. I'm down with anyone interested in improving on the concept of Elite. It just sounds like you may be sacrificing the player experience for the sake of concept and none of these concepts are easily implemented.

Do ya have any completed game projects? You'll need an arsenal of experience to get this baby off the ground. ;-)
Quit screwin' around! - Brock Samson
Sweet cup and cakes! Argh... noooo... not... Not ANIME!!! :S

Ok, having taken a good look at .HACK i can, quite gladly say... it will be ab-so-lute-ly nothing like .HACK!

There will be no: "Book of Twilight" or "Battle Mode / Play Mode" or any other kinds of weirdness.

Ok - first and most obvious difference... Its going to be in space. Second, it seems as those in .HACK the 'Single Player/MMORPG' is more of a story concept, where as my game aims to combine the best parts of a mmorpg (crafting system, massive universe, infinite replayability etc) into a single player game.

So sorry, nothing like .HACK - that looks weird!

Well that's good, .hack is kindof annoying...
-----------------------------Play Stompy's Revenge! Now!
Quote:Original post by coderx75
The economy will be fairly simple to start with - mainly buy/sell like Elite

Hehe, Elite was the first thing that I thought of when I read your idea. I started playing that game when it came out back in '85. I still play it sometimes to this day (Apple emulator).

I dig the galaxy generation idea but the unpopulated planets sound a little boring, to be honest. The high EMP planets sound quite frustrating. Does the player know beforehand what he is in for before setting out on the journey? Don't get me wrong. I'm down with anyone interested in improving on the concept of Elite. It just sounds like you may be sacrificing the player experience for the sake of concept and none of these concepts are easily implemented.

Do ya have any completed game projects? You'll need an arsenal of experience to get this baby off the ground. ;-)

Hmm, the EMP thingy is still in planning, but is going to be one of several stellar phonemonon (sp?!) - i'm hunting around for more on google as we speak. Hopefully it shouldn't be too annoying, and you don't HAVE to go there. Obviously, certain rewarding missions may send you there, but i'd like a large part of the game to be discovered while playing. Too many games these days have everything written in the manual (even if it is a PDF) where i'm aiming for the game to be closer to real life where you go "Hey! WTF is going on with my ship!"

None of the consequences should be fatal tho, you can jump out of such systems straight away, or you can venture in... not knowing what your getting yourself into!

As for game projects, I've gone through all the normal ones like Pong, Pacman, Gorillas with proper physics and in 3D. I also wrote a dance-mat game for my sister that allows her to record her own dance-moves to songs.

As for something this size... nope, never tried it. I'm planning on building it modularly, i've put together the galaxy generator in Visual Basic as it's basically a database construction application. This allowed me to create data-structures etc without having all the hassle of C++ / W32API surounding it. Now I know exactly what I have to do to accomplish it, i can re-code it in C++.

I'm also outsourcing for a lot of the code, using OGRE for the graphics, Lua for scripting etc.

The next step on the road is to put together a decent space-simulator! I'll probably be basing it on the Freespace flight-model cos, althought Newtonian physics are accruate - they ain't very fun for dog-fights! I liked Freespace's responsive model far more the X:BTF's 'Flying through soup' mode...

[Edit]

Oh yeah, and the uninhibited planets - i'm undecided at the moment quite how to handle this. One idea i had was for the majority of the map to be unexplored. The 'core' systems would obviously be explored and heavily populated, surrounding by some systems with remote outposts etc. The map beyond that will be shrouded out, and will only unveil as you explore. This would also lead to possibilities of alien races etc on the other side of the galaxy - i think that would be a quite fun gameplay element.

I always liked Frontier's MASSIVE galaxy - even tho i never bothered to explore much of it, it always helped with immersion, and also - its always a nice feeling to go mining out on the frontier, and then head back to home!

Another idea i had was possibly to include 'liquid' space, another dimension that would open up after you do something plot-based and start spewing aliens out of it. You could develop and construct a ship from components of destroyed alien ships, and then travel back into liquid space, which would be completely different...

Just a few ideas anywho!
SynexCode Monkey
while not in space, morrowind is very close to the best elements of a mmorpg in a single player game. It even has an extensive construction kit so players can create new content for themselves and others.

I agree with others, start with a smaller scope and expand. If your design is osund and modular, then the amount of changes should be trivial to get it working. If your design needs to be changed, then it will be easier to see where the problem.

Its good to see you understand you only need to give the appearence of a living world, and dont actually need to have one.
Your "newtonian physics are accurate..." statement got me thinking about something. Are you going to implement any kind of special relativity effects into this game?

An issue that might arise is...how are you going to allow for 3 month long wars and at the same time use realtime combat and interaction?

Using relativity might actually allow you to get past that issue...depending on how fast your ship can move, hundreds of years could go by on stationary planets and galaxies while you're off travelling at near light speed around the universe for only a few minutes.
Wow, you seem to be doing well on this(far better than I on a very similar game).
Keep going strong!
If you need a space sim, Vega Strike is an open source space sim, I'm sure there are others, and the Freespace code has been released(fun looking at if nothing else).
http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement