• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
RPGeezus

State-based AI in a constrained environment

This topic is 4979 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

In the Consoles and PDA forum I posted a link to a MIDP (cell-phone) game I wrote. The enemy AI uses layers of state tables, something I've posted about a number of times in this forum. If anyone is intersted in seeing the behaviour layers of state-tables can produce I encourage you to download the game to your cell-phone (or cell-phone emulator). Visit the Consoles and PDA forum to see the post. I cannot gaurantee the program will be available for more than 24 hours (my IP might change). The level progession in the game is stricly an increase in difficulty of the enemy AI (and number of tanks). The enemy tanks never drive any faster, or shoot any faster. Their shooting range is always the same. One other thing I would like to point out is that the enemy tanks never actually know where you are; they are only aware of your general direction. This is because determining precise angles and what not would have been too computationally expensive for the platform (with all of the other stuff going on). Even so you might notice the enemy tanks making use of terrain cover, leading their shots, and at times trying to route you. All of this is possible by very simple, computationally inexpensive rules, and the effect of layering them. Even the 'tank like' motion of the enemies is an artifact of the state tables. I hope you enjoy! Will

Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!