Mouse Input Implementation

Started by
6 comments, last by eurosprt1 23 years, 5 months ago
Can some one direct me in the best way to implement mouse input into the OpenGL tuts that Nehe has set up here... I can''t get a point to be drawn through the use of the mouse messages in win32 programming... I used the following WM_LBUTTONDOWN: SetCapture(hwnd); int cx = LOWORD(lParam); int cy = HIWORD(lParam); //Class defined to hide mouse input CMouse mouse; //Sets the x and y values for the location of a Dot to draw mouse.GetPoint(cx,cy); break; WM_LBUTTONUP: ReleaseCapture(); ///..../// void CMouse::GetPoint(int x, int y) { m_PosX = x; m_PosY = y; } void CMouse::DrawPoint() { glBegin(GL_POINTS); glVertex2i(m_PosX, m_PosY); glEnd(); } //// Render fucntion then just calls the DrawPoint () glPushMatrix(); DrawPoint(); glPopMatrix(); but for some reason this doesn''t get any thing to appear on the screen euro (TIA)
----Eurosprt1--Pilot Extrodinaire
Advertisement
are u using the right projection matrix

http://members.xoom.com/myBollux
I have been using the projection set up in the tutorials... is this wrong?

euro
well im not sure what that is
but try someit like this

glMatrixMode(GL_PROJECTION);
glLoadIdentity();
gluPerspective(90, winWidth/winHeight, 1, 100);
glMatrixMode(GL_MODELVIEW);
glLoadIdentity();

draw 3d stuff

glMatrixMode(GL_PROJECTION);
glLoadIdentity();
glViewport(0,0,winWidth,winHeight);
glOrtho(0,winWidth,0,winHeight,-100.0,100.0);
glMatrixMode(GL_MODELVIEW);
glLoadIdentity();

now everything u draw will map to window coords (0,0) bottomleft,
(winWidth,winHeight) top right

glBegin(GL_POINTS);
glVertex2i(m_PosX, m_PosY);
glEnd();

ZedZeek,

I will let you know what happens thanx for the input... I appreciate it greatly.. Now I just have to throw a program together in 72 hours to turn in on Monday

euro

Edited by - eurosprt1 on November 4, 2000 8:32:47 PM
ZedZeek...

It seems I am having troulbe trying to get the program to map correctly even with what you sent me for a window initialization and projection... I found that I was passing 0''s for x and y... Shoot self in foot... (thnx Zack Smith for logfile class).. Or I wouldn''t have ever found that problem...

I keep getting a conversion problem with accuracy of the location of the click of the button and the actual location of the dot drawn....

eg... I click in a particular point and the point shows up 3 to 4 units to the right or left of the location and 3 to 4 points up or down... this is a ruf estimate but I am taking the
LOWORD(lParam) and sending it to a function that sets the coordinates for the draw function... In the mutator function/set function I manipulate the points so that they conform to the OPENGL screen setup by dividing by 100

so it will come out with a whole number like 1, 2, 3, 4, etc...

euro
windoze maps (0,0) to the top left gl is (0,0) bottom left so be aware of that.

the 3,4 pixels soulds very much like the windows borders are coming into play. use GetDeviceMetrics(..) (i think thats the correct api function) to find out howwide the borders r on the computer and alter your coords accordanly, u could always of course make a window with out a border

Zed...

Thanx will try that instead

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement