• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

Enlarging the resolution of a game in an emulator isn't so jaggy. Why?

This topic is 4827 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, Sorry for the long title. I can't seem to express it in fewer words. Anyway what I'm asking is that in an emulator, particularly Kawaks or Nebula, They have the option of viewing the game in either x2, x3 and so on. I realize that when you do this, the sprites and all things (graphics wise) don't appear to be as jaggy as they should compare to when you take a snapshot of the original resolution, open it in some paint programs, and zoom it. What do you call this?I want to know if this can be done using DirectDraw. The reason is that it's easier for me to make smaller sprites so if I can implement the same thing in my program, it's a lot of relief since I'll just zoom it about 2x and will definitely save me a lot of time. THANKS A LOT IN ADVANCE!!

Advertisement
In Direct3D/OpenGL, (usually) the default is to use bilinear interpolation on textures, and if the emulator is drawing the screen to a texture then stretching the texture larger, interpolation will occur and the texture will look smooth. I prefer using filters like Mame2x and setting the texture filtering to point/pixel/none, though...

If you want to do it in Direct3D/OpenGL it's really not that hard, DirectDraw might be a bit more difficult. Worst case, you'll have to implement it yourself. Best case, DD will already have a scaling function or hardware acceleration that does it for you. IIRC the blit function should have a 'dest rect' or something like that that will allow you to scale a sprite.

Hope it helps and good luck!

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!