• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
waxor

Sharing a static member to derived objects

This topic is 4833 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Here is my situation, I have a base class called State and several derived classes, such as Running and Placing. The master game object maintains an array of these derived state objects. I use the common methods to move my game along. Most of the derived classes need access to a vector that is contained inside the main game object. This is a vector of all in game characters, which I call "units". The easy solution is to pass a reference to the units vector to each derived class that needs it when I create them. What I would like to do is make the reference a static member of the base class and let all derived classes access it through that. That seems very clean and the "right" way to do things. To bad I cant seem to get the syntax right. Here is the relevant code: class State{ protected: // Reference to "global" list of units static vector<Unit*>& unitsI; public: static void setUnitList(vector<Unit*>& unitsIn) {unitsI = unitsIn;} } And then in the setup process in my game object I do something like this: vector<Unit*> units; State::setUnitList(units); When I try to compile it I get: undefined reference to State::unitsI So I add this to the end of the class's .h file: vector<Unit*>& State::unitsI; Except now it complains: 'State::unitsI' declared as reference but not initialized I could create a temp vector, assign it to the reference and then reassign the reference later but that makes the compiler shout a lot about "multiple definitions", so that seems like the way to go. I could use a pointer to the vector instead of a reference like this: vector<Unit*>* unitsI; but that gives me the same "multiple definition of State::unitsI" error message that I get when I try the temp vector. What is a good way to do this? Am I missing some trivial trick or is my idea flawed? -Waxler

Advertisement
Quote:
I could create a temp vector, assign it to the reference and then reassign the reference later

No, you can't. References must be set when they are created, and cannot be retargeted later.

Use a pointer. There even is a special pointer value for pointers that don't point to anything: 0 .

The cpp file bit was the trick.

I would rather use a reference than a pointer, just because I have written a bunch of states that all refer to it as a reference.

Thanks.

You cannot dynamically change references, because it would be like trying to dynamically change the address of a variable, but you can dynamically change pointers, since they're meant to be changed.
However, you can do this the tedious way:
class State{
protected:
// Reference to "global" list of units
static vector<Unit*> *ptrUnitsI;

public:
static void setUnitList(vector<Unit*> &unitsIn) {*unitsI = unitsIn;}
};
//And if you've written the other functions using 'unitsI' as a reference, you can recreate it in each function:
TYPE State::something(ARGUMENTS) {
vector<Unit*> &unitsI=*ptrUnitsI; //Someting like that
}

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!